Blowers Quest. On New Gas, forced Hot Air Residential Furnaces ?

Hello,

Are the main blowers on the new Gas, forced hot air residential furnaces (typically) spec'd to run at 208 or 115 V ?

Trying to get some technical basic info on them (Am. St'd & Trane) before contacting contractors. Their sites do not offer much in this regard.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11
110 for all units in my brochures is normal .

Look into VS DC they use 1/3rd to 1/2 the power but get the 10 yr warranty. Even though they were recently redisigned it is to early to tell about reliability. VS will increase Seer by 1 in AC mode as well so you save winter and summer. They can also be set on very low speed and be controled by a humidistat-thermostat to remove double the humidity of non VS DC. With Carrier you can adjust fan speed at the thermostat with their thermostat. So if it is just humid inside and you don`t really want to cool set it to low fan to pull humidity out. Carrier at low uses apx 110 watts compared to 375 for a regular blower. In heat mode you can get more even heat and continous air filtration on low. Ive run numbers on electric consumption and at .125Kwh I have a 4-5 yr payback on VS DC plus the extra comfort.

Reply to
m Ransley

My AM was 120v and VFD. If I had bought a heat pump it would have been 240v. But since I went with gas heat the blower was 120v. Never did get a understandable answer on why 240v was not available then. (this was circa

1991)
Reply to
AlanBown

Hi,

Much thanks for info and reply.

Bob

Reply to
Robert11

No reason to build a gas furnace for 240 volt. The motor is the largest draw and most draw less than 10 amps @ 120 volts On the other hand, air handlers are typically 240 volt as most have electric heat strips installed that need 240 volt because of the high amp draw. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

115VAC is standard, but you can get units in 220VAC.. >
Reply to
webmaster