Base for garden shed?

Page 2 of 2

Frederick Williams wrote:

in very heavy duty polythene to prevent rising damp. I guess roof felt would do the same? :)
--
Buy a poppy....help a serviceman
Pete C

That was yonks ago! I would imagine the shed has long been built.
Yes, to stop rising damp getting to the wooden bearers.
mark
mark wrote:

I'm a slow reader.
--
Which of the seven heavens / Was responsible her smile /
Wouldn't be sure but attested / That, whoever it was, a god /

Not really necessary if the floor runners are tanalised timber, but have a look at this aynway:-
http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/homebase/assets/ht_erect_shed.pdf
Quite a comprehensive set of instructions for you.
Bill
Bill Grey wrote:

Thank you. I had to look up 'tanalised'.
--
Which of the seven heavens / Was responsible her smile /
Wouldn't be sure but attested / That, whoever it was, a god /

Depends on what you want to spend. A poured concrete slab is ideal. Next choice is crushed limestone in a frame. Around here, if a groundhog, skunk, or chipmonk can get under it, he will.

I've no idea what's a "pent" shed. But regardless, you don't want your shed directly on the ground or it will rot, and move off level, rack, and fall apart. A shed needs a sturdy base that permits good drainage and air circulation. But the most important consideration (especially with a relatively small shed such as yours) is be certain a shed is solidly fastened to the ground or first time there's a good wind it will blow away, probably slam into someone elses property doing great damage, causing you much grief. There exist various tie down systems for anchoring a shed to the ground. When installing a shed it is wise to "overkill" (prepare for a hurricane), the cheap turns out expensive.

Does this shed come with a floor?
If it does, then just putting a concrete block at each corner will do.
If it does not have a floor, then I would put down a layer of crush rock and put the shed on that.
The main thing is that you do not want wood touching dirt. It can touch rock or concrete, but not dirt, or it will rot.

You leave the reader wondering what the shsd base is made of, at the very least. Further, you are simply expanding on that by asking a question that may not have bearing if one had some limited knowledge of the shed and soil and elevation it will set on itself. If you can't ask a specific queston with specific information to base an answer on, butt out.
--
Dave
Confront and fight Obama zombieism

negativity towards a stranger on usenet.
btw, what is your bed base made of?
I am blind and even I don't see why you would need all that information. A small shed and how to best set it up. Not exactly rocket science the person just wanted different ways of doing this. I hope this last person wasn't a regular poster on here or I will go back to just lurking and picking out the good stuff.

Just ignore him like the rest of us do. Our new "war president" seems to have unnerved him.
I would recommend a bolt set in concrete at the four corners of tour shed. Drill holes. Add a couple of washers (including a lock washer), screw down nut to set.
Sorry, but I haven't really been following this thread but obviously you need something of heft to secure your structure.

--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message

Yeah. What do you think this is, a discussion group or what?
Oh, it is?
Never mind.
I'd put it on railroad ties. Last a long time, easy to get, cheap. Is that specific enough, Dave?
Steve
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message

Who shit in your cornflakes?
SteveB wrote:

It really doesn't matter what is asked or discussed here you will ALWAYS find someone that dislikes what someone posts.
Overall, I find these groups almost useless with all the political (and other) non-topic discussion and bashing that goes on. It would be nice to get back to our "root" but, with the current crowd, I don't think that will happen.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

"You are never to old to play in the dirt"
"You are never to old to play in the dirt" I love this and will post it over my potting table.
Has anyone used that mulch that is made out of rubber tires, like they use on playgrounds? I wonder if it would get too hot in the summer, think it would be good for wintering. Live in Ill. zone 5

With mulch like that, how would you get it back up next spring so that you can till the garden again?
If you plow it under, it will never rot and will just be trash in the dirt.
Sorry, I guess I was clear as mud. I plant in pots these days not too much in the ground. I also put down a circle of the landscaping cloth type stuff to help hold in the moisture and not to have to worry about any weeds. I would use this mulch in the long flower boxes in front of the house that are in sun most of the day, that is why the question about too much heat.
wrote:

With mulch like that, how would you get it back up next spring so that you can till the garden again?
If you plow it under, it will never rot and will just be trash in the dirt.

I got ya. I have my head so far into my own garden that I completely forgot about other methods. :-/
Seen a deal called a salad table at http://growit.umd.edu / and may try that this year.
Ive also been thinking about making a box for tomatoes. Depends on if I can find enough wood around for that one. At least this year I can start on the cedar limb cadge that would eventually go on top of the box.
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message

Maybe I should have said: Due to lack of information on the shed, soil, and elevation details where the shed will be, I must bow out in providing a suitable solution for your question.