are they safe?

Page 2 of 2
On 6/21/2010 5:39 PM, gloria.p wrote:

I don't think that raccoons are a real problem in the UK unless someone has them as pets. A friend with a large koi pond in Hastings had her major problem with a very persistent heron which would hoover up fish at an amazing rate. "Invisible" netting will pretty much take care of that problem but it makes maintenance a real PITA.
habitat wrote:

It depends. If the water is polluted, if it is too hot, or predatory birds or animals can get them, or there is not enough food then no. Small shallow ponds have the greatest risk.
David
David Hare-Scott wrote:

Runoff from lawn chemicals (fertilizer, weed killer) is also a danger.
gloria p
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:02:27 +0000, habitat

I have goldfish in my pond. I also have ruby reds. Both are good for mosquito control. The fish breed, but I add a few dozen fresh ones each year to help the gene pool. Some eventually turn a brown color which are better at camouflage.
On 6/21/2010 11:02 AM, habitat wrote:

You might buy a copy of Koi Ponds & Gardens, a long-standing UK magazine. You can easily apply what they say about koi to gold fish since they are all just glorified carp when you get right down to it. You should be able to find it a your local news agent or perhaps you can check at http://koimag.co.uk It used to cost 3.25 but it may have (and probably has) gone up since I last looked at it.