any receipe's for 3 pounds of figs I've placed in the fridge to keep?

Page 1 of 2
Anyone have any receipe's for the 3 pounds of ripe, sweet figs I've placed in the fridge to keep them from spoiling? madgardener
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:20:19 -0400, "Madgardener"

A bowl a knife and a complimentary wine.
zhan
come on up honey, you can help me eat them. I've eaten so many, I'm beginning to resemble a fig..............

zhanataya wrote:

You forgot a nice nutty emmenthaler... yum.
Callen in VA
Go to your nearest Megabookstore (or a nice local one if the owners are helpful) or the Web and find a recipe for fig jam. The kind I'm thinking of is made in the Middle East and central Europe and is very very thick--basically just slightly smashed figs and sugar==and flavored lightly with anise. Delicious! If you don't like anise, experiment with your favorite spices--but quick, don't let those wonderful figs go to waste. zemedelec

Drat! I didn't save the 'recipe', 'though I definitely remember passing the URL on to some neighbors. Anyhow, I Googled and searched the food newsgroups last fall when given a bucket of figs. I didn't try this, but it sounded terrific. Halve some figs, arrange cut side up in a pan, dab sour cream on each half, sprinkle with brown sugar, and broil to kind of melt/caramelize the sugar. The sour cream may be still cool next to the fruit, but that's good.
I made jam. Figs are *beautiful* fruits -- a most agreeable color scheme that I admired while prepping and simmering.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080303010805050500030707 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I wish I had a recipe to share, but I only have ideas. If it were me, I would find a recipe for fig newtons--maybe check out one of those "Top Secret Recipe" books from your library--you know the books that have impostor recipes for name brand foods such as oreos, waffle house waffles, etc..
I have tried fig jam and love it! I wonder if you could also pack the figs in a jar filled with brandy or another liquor--if sealed I would think they would preserve well--and maybe make a nice holiday gift.
A neighbor of ours gives us figs from her tree. The first year we received figs, my DH did not realize the "potent powers" of figs. He ate a quart sized container filled with figs in one sitting. Thank goodness Wal Mart sells Kaopectate and is open 24 hours!
:) Heidi
Frogleg wrote:

--------------080303010805050500030707 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------080303010805050500030707--
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com says...

A Google search on "fig recipes" returned 80,400 hits. There ought to be some thing useful in there. :) The fig pie sounded interesting.
        Bill
and you simmered it for how long? And did you add pectin or were the figs sufficiently full of pectin in the first place? The men in the house are starting to look like figs............<g> I am getting spoiled from picking them off the tree (they're not as plentiful, but now they're turning dark on the butt indicating they're sweet and ripe) and snatching a few out of the bowl in the fridge. But I'm NOT cutting the branches this year in hopes that this is why I had so many this year. Just capping the little stem and simmering them and putting it in small jam jars would do it next year wouldn't it? I am ever the optimistic <g> madgardener

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:21:44 -0400, "Madgardener"

I Googled on "'fig jam' recipe" and searched rec.food.preserving, and winged it after reading a number of recipes. Just figs, sugar, and a little lemon juice. Washed, (de-)stemmed, and halved the fruit, and mixed with sugar and lemon in a big dutch oven pot (no cover) over first medium (to bring to the simmer) and then low (to continue) heat. It burrbled happily for several (2-3? I was here in the computer pantry reading and posting) hours. Stirred and tasted from time to time, and it was getting pretty jammy when, suddenly!, it scorched. Scooped off the interior and bottled a few jars for refrigerator storage. (I'm not a canner.) Advice from an expert on another newsgroup told me that while a fruit/sugar mix can march along happily with little attention for some time, the *second* it starts to stick a bit to the bottom of the pot, constant stirring and then judicious removal from heat is required. Another poster mentioned her mother's famous 'Burnt Fig Jam.' Seems like you can't go too far wrong. :-)
opined:

Mmmm, piece of Brie, maybe some nice wine, or a delicious, really good grape juice and the dates. Or, you can search online for date nut bread. Then, use a bit of cream cheese and sip the juice..eat the cheese...you know, run your plate. A bite of this, a bite of that. Sweet and tart, some salt, your done.
Victoria
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:20:19 -0400, "Madgardener"

Lots of fig jam recipes on the web. Just search on google.com
deg
You need a recipe for filled cookies. If you want one I'll hunt for mine. Although the cream cheese sounds good. So does the wine.
Marilyn
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, if I can find my receipe books. I will see if I can get the slow ass computer to hunt google for me for a filled fig cookie. I'm just grateful I HAVE this many figs this year. (I need a dehydrator! <g>) maddie

snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says...

We had a good crop of Izu Persimmons this year. The wife just finished making about 10 pounds of persimmon chips and a couple of pounds of persimmon leather.
        Bill
<< You need a recipe for filled cookies. If you want one I'll hunt for mine. >><BR><BR>
forgot about those--there's an Italian cookie from Sicily that you see hereabouts on St. Joseph's Day altars--delicious and filled with fig. zemedelec

good wine - who needs a recipe? <G>
John

Put in stainless cooking pot, add 3 pounds of sugar, let set at room temp 24 hours, brig to boil and boil until figs a clear. Let set overnight at room temp, and the next day run through the blender until no definable pieces of fig are visible. Put bake in pot, add sliced lemon or a tablespoon of lemon juice and bring to slow boil and cook until it thickens when a small amount is placed in a spoon resting on ice. Bottle, or seal in jars, and enjoy one of the best syrups you've ever put on your pancakes or fried chicken.
Tom J who has made fig syrup for 40 years
What kind of fig trees are these? I cant imagine having too many figs I love them soooo much. They are impossible to find around here unless they cost 2 or more bucks a piece. How cold does it get where you are? Ingrid

I live just north of Atlanta, GA. The Brown Turkey fig "tree" (it's not a bush anymore) I get my figs from, produces more than 500 pounds of figs each year. The tree belongs to a close friend & they give the figs to friends that will come pick them, and then let the birds and bees have the rest. I have picked as many as 8 gallons in one day from that tree!! This year I only picked 4 gallons at the time - easier to work with at the stove. The tree usually makes figs for around 45 days if they are picked closely as they ripen.
Tom J