anthracnose dogwood question

Hi, I have a dogwood that is croaking inch by inch from anthroacnose and I wonder if it is dangerous to leave it in the earth with the disease, or will it infect the soil. I want to put a stand of cluster birches in it's place next year. Anyone know about this disease? Thank you, Jane
Thanks Dave, great news. Jane

place