Aloe Vera Plant and Freezing weather

Page 1 of 2
Oops...I accidentally left my Aloe plant outside and we had a hard freeze:( From the tips to about halfway down the plant, they are brownish yellow and squishy. The rest of the plant looks fine. Should I snip off the squishy parts...will it grow new tips? Forgive me for sounding dumb, but this is the first aloe plant I've had...
thanks! Angie

Cut the "squishy" stuff off as far back as you can. Don't water for a week or until the soil has dried out completely.
Then when you realize the plant is dead, you can throw it out!!!!

That makes no sense.
The "squishy parts" are dying leaf tissue and that doesn't "come back".

Hi Ricky,
Thanks for replying:) I'll cut them off and see what happens...never hurts to try:)
Happy Holidays! Angie
Angie,
I'll second Ricky's advise and add a bit to it. Frist of all, if the very crown of your Aleo is still intact it's chances of survival are greatly improved!
The individual leavf tips won't grown back, but the remaining healthy tissue will still be able to produce energy to help the plant recouperate, and though the main plant may not "make it" there is still a high likelyhood that it will develop "pups" or new plants from the roots and the base of the "mother" plant.
Keep the plant more on the dry side and when you do water it add a few drops of "SUPERTHRIVE" to the water, water ir thoroughly and then not again until it is dry (not DRIED OUT).
Place the injured plant is a warm spot with plenty of bright light but no direct sun during the "heat" of the day. Early morning and late afternoon sun are acceptable.
If the damaged leaves continue to show cellular damage, use a very sharp knife or razor and keep it trimmed back beyond the damaged tissues; you might also want to dust the cuts with agricultural sulfur. Hope this helps and best of luck to you.
Hemmaholic
All a waste of time.
The plant will ultimately dies no matter what you do.
The smart thing to do is to throw it out and get another plant.

This will be the first Aloe plant you lose.
Freezing temps are fatal to Aloe.

Notice how trollboy here lobs insults at anyone and everyone. Could someone do a 'whois' and post it so we can all complain to his ISP?
If you have nothing of value nor relevant to contribute to the conversation then just shut up, you troll boy wannabe.

Joe, he's lobbed nothing here, and complaints over the years haven't done much. Ignore his childishness, and read the posts where he shares his knowledge, he's really very knowledgable about botany. It's too bad he insists on acting like such an ass. Some here find him funny, I've never found mean to be funny.
Yes, I'm braced for another one of Stevie's temper tantrums.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Thanks Ann, but I just decided a killfile was a better solution. Now I'll never gather his wisdom, boo-hoo.
Good idea.
Now I won't be getting any stupid replies from either of you clueless addle-brained wannabe trolls!!!!!
You never have any relevant nor informative to say anyway.

If freezing temps were fatal to Aloe, then the whole plant would be dead, but it's not. Just the tallest parts, so there's still hope!

I've saved a squishy aloe vera, but it was a overwatered root squishy and not a frozen head squishy. Prior to that, two frozen squishies that were brought inside (cold 45-55F? garage) without any additional care did not survive, however, they were frozen squishy for more than one day. Haven't had any problems with non-squishy aloes growing new tips.
For reference, the overwatered squishy (which was not yet a smelly squishy) was pulled from the pot, allowed to unsquishy (air dry) its feet and then repotted.
Good luck with yours.
Aloe vera doesn't grow tall, its a rosette plant.
If the leaves are frozen, so is the growing point in the crown.

junkyardcat Wrote:

if ya gonna freeze ya desert plants best keep em dry thereafter i'd sa
-- Eyebright

quite intentionally. I brought them in and within a few days they had completely gone to goosh. I hacked them down to just below soil level, watered them lightly, and left them for the last 3 months in a cool spot that gets very little light. They have recently produced numerous vigorous shoots and will definitely need to be severely divided. At the benign risk of being accused of anthropomorphization, I would claim they appear to have appreciated the freeze.
Aloes are tougher than they let on. If you still have the pot with the roots indoors, I wouldn't be surprised if yours recovers with a little benign neglect.
Oh yeah, they appreciate freezing alright.
The same way a frostbite victim appreciates getting their limbs amputated!!!!!!!