Indoor Aloe Vera

Ive had an aloe plant for about 6 mths now. Since then Ive had it in m

kitchen, unfortunatly there are no windows in my house that take i sun! Now my plant has become very limp! Can i put it under a 75 watt o larger black light at night? Its cold now averaging a high of 5 degrees during the day. I dont want to put it outside due to the cold! HELP!!! Thank

-- eepetty

Reply to
eepetty

How often have you been watering it? Mine just gets a thorough soak once per month.

Reply to
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

You want to make a bad situation worse, you say?

The answer to your question is NO.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Note that the link Cereus sent mentions that Aloe is an exception to the south window rule. My Aloe lives on a north windowsill from Oct - June. It is over the sink so the humidity is a bit better than the rest of the house-- but I doubt I water it once a month.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Wishful thinking on your part, Jim Bob.

Did you completely miss the sentence saying: "A north or east-facing window will never do."?

I said they can handle less intense light not a north facing window. That's not the same thing. Day length is important too.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........
[Thanks very much for the input!! I definatley will check out tha

link. I have a brown thumb. I was happy when I got the aloe plant fo my B-day..since its a cactus I figured I wouldnt be able to kill thi one...I always forget to water more than remember to. The onl windowsill in my whole house since I have storm windows is the one i the kitchen and when you look out that window you are looking into th covered carport. So there is really no way to get it in to natura light.... Thanks for your help...I will keep searching

-- eepetty

Reply to
eepetty

Ive had an aloe plant for about 6 mths now. Since then Ive had it i my kitchen, unfortunatly there are no windows in my house that take in sun! Now my plant has become very limp! Can i put it under a 75 wat or larger black light at night? Its cold now averaging a high of 50 degrees during the day. I dont want to put it outside due to th cold!! HELP!!! Thanks

How often have you been watering it? Mine just gets a thorough soak once per month.

***Sorry I didnt read the part about not deleteing all the stuff i quotes!!!! I checked out that website and is was very helpful, Th potting soil I have Sucks!!! When i water my plants the water jus stands on the top of the soil it doesnt absorb...so I imagine it really holding in the moisture once it finally does. I like the ti about using 2 parts cat liter. I have 3 cats and work for anima control and litter is definatley obtainable!! Im going to tr re-potting with the soil mixture and wait a few weeks before waterin so the roots can mend....I will check back for any other tips and if need more help (im sure i will), Thanks again for all your help!!!

-- eepetty

Reply to
eepetty

Its not a cactus. Its a leaf succulent.

Don't say you will check out the link.

Check it out first and then reply after you did.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Preceded by "A few succulents such as Aloe, their relatives, . . . . . can do well in low light. . . ."

My Aloe Vera has wintered on a north window for 10 years. [zone 5- in a valley- mighty short days in January] It wasn't happy when it was on the south window with the Violets- but that might be because my wife watered it too much there.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Maybe you shouldread the whole paragraph next tim before jumping to conclusions?

How would you know what makes a plant "happy" anyway?

Just tell the wife to leave the Aloe plant alone.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........