African violet won't bloom

Last year I won a small African violet at a luncheon. I've had it on a side table in bright but indirect light, fed it, watered it, spoke kindly to it, but zip blooms.

Any suggestions?

Tx

Reply to
Persephone

Last year I won a small African violet at a luncheon. I've had it on a side table in bright but indirect light, fed it, watered it, spoke kindly to it, but zip blooms.

Any suggestions?

Tx

Reply to
Persephone

They do need a fair amount of light, as well as regular light feeding. Also, you need to groom it from to time. Google on "African Violet care", and sort out the hits. You'll find lots of useful info - too much probably. Your local library will certainly have a houseplant book or two that deals with African violets. Books are nice -- you can take them with you anywhere, and you don't have to plug them in to read them. :-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

MORE light and are you fertilizing it?

Reply to
Tom Randy

Not MORE light, it is getting the max right where it is -- Western light. Re: fertilizing, I put in some of those "spikes" but they haven't done much good, bloom-wise.

Anybody have experience w/African violets that can suggest optimum type of fertilizer?

This site:

some interesting advice, including NOT a clay pot!

Your reactions to that site, and your recommendations for fertilizer would be appreciated. Personal experience is so valuable!

Tx.

Reply to
Persephone

They don't like too much space in a pot, all of mine are in a small pots and all are blooming, standard fertiliser, window on north.

Reply to
Powerless Agronomist

I purchase "African Violet" fertilizer, most recently at Home Depot.

Reply to
Travis

Use Schultz's Bloom (5-30-5) at half recommended strength every two weeks when you water or something similar that has a low nitrogen number. Keep it in an east or north window during the summer and a west window during the winter. African violets do well under a grow light that is left on for sixteen hours. Small grow lights are available that are especially adapted for dark corners. Keep it evenly moist but never sopping wet and never keep it in a cold area. Water it from the bottom to prevent leaf spotting.

John

John

Reply to
B & J

I have grown african violets successfully for years and the one thing I have noticed is that after I bring them home from the store/garden centre they take a long time to rebloom. I think it is because they are forced in the first place. I water sparingly from the bottom and once a month I use Shultz liquid fertilizer. I keep them in lots of light but not direct sun. As suggested in another post they don't like big pots. It seems they don't blossom until they become almost root bound but can stay that way for years. Good Luck as the flowers are worth it.

Reply to
RosietheRiviter

Thanks to all for excellent suggestions. Appreciate your help. I'll post an announcement if/when the Sleeper Awakes

-- Persephone

Reply to
Persephone