Advice on watering sought

Hello,
I have bought 2 pot plants, but being the practical person I am, I've got no idea how to water them. I tried to identify them online, but there seems to be to much plants on me. :)
So I would be grateful if you help me identify them and advice on watering.
Specifically, can I water them in a batch-like manner, i.e. letting the water pour through until it fills even the round tray under the pot?
Anything other is welcome, though I really am no expert, so I am going just for basic maintenance.
Pictures are here (high-res versions if you need more detail):
http://www.box.net/shared/svg25u2j2b
Thanks.
--
jk451

I'm no pot expert (ask me about gin) but that looks more like palm than pot.
On 6/23/2009 11:27 AM, jk451 wrote:

Plant #1 is some kind of palm. Plant #2 is either a Dracaena or a Cordyline (more likely the latter). I have a much smaller palm and a much smaller Cordyline. I have a large Dracaena and two smaller ones.
The small plants all get the exact same care. I water them once each week. I give each a little water to moisten the soil surface and let it soak in. Then I give each more water until there is a little in the saucer underneath. I don't let the saucer fill to the top.
The large Dracaena gets watered at the same time as the smaller plants BUT ONLY IF THE SOIL SURFACE IS QUITE DRY. Its pot is about twice the size of the pot for your #2. My pot is set inside a slightly larger jardinire; I can't see how much water has drained out of the pot and into the larger container. If I do water it, I give it about a quart or two. But first, I test the surface with my finger to see if it's damp; if it is indeed damp, I wait another week.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
David E. Ross;852830 Wrote: > On 6/23/2009 11:27 AM, jk451 wrote:

> it

> or

> damp;

Thank you very much. Searching for the images, I think that #2 is a Cordyline.
From your description it seems that neither will completely die if they don't get watered for a week, which is a rather nice tolerance to forgetfulness. :)
--
jk451

jk451 wrote:

The advice sounds right.>
I think I have the same two plants bought at discount at Walmart. I have them outdoors, repotted. Neither get much attention or watering and are doing fine. It's rather hot these days. I think such plants are better off with too little rather than too much water. Unlike most of my non tropical plants.
Jeff

On 6/26/2009 10:59 PM, jeff wrote:

Dracaena in particular will suffer if overwatered. I'm not sure about Cordyline. They (and other house plants) are all thriving indoors with my once-per-week schedule. However, in extremely hot weather (when the air conditioner dries the already dry air) or during a Santa Anna wind (outdoor humidity below 10%), I sometimes water twice a week.
If you don't live in southern California, you can read about Santa Anna winds at my <http://www.rossde.com/garden/index.html#santa_ana .
--

Back in my day, they were called Santa Ana winds, just like they are now in Wikipedia, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Ana_winds>
--

- Billy

g'day
ok the palm is a date 'pheonix' of sorts probably dwarf date(doesn't mean they stay small they still grow big enough but small in overall stature) 'ruebelini', so google pheonix ruebelini. itg will be one of the pheonix palms maybe even rupecola they grow very large.
the other is a cordaline the australian dragon tree
tghey will both take it dry so no need to over water depends whether indoors or out doors (they will both take good sun), indoors mabe monthly water outdoors may 2 weekly in summer, in winter longer
the palm has nasty spikes at the base of the fronds these are the rib of undeveloped leaflets, so be sure kids can't get near them they are as sharp as an injection needle and hurt heaps. tghe pal not the best for pot culture better in teh garden at the back and right from day 1 trim off the dying fronds and cut off the spiky end and dispose of that the rest can be composted.
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:27:09 +0100, jk451
snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,
len & bev
http://www.lensgarden.com.au /