Advice on a leaning hedge

Hello,

I've got a hedge in my garden that is leaning. I wondered if anybody had any tips to correct the problem.

Please see attached image

Many Thanks

Will

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: leaning hedge.jpg | |Download:
Will Turner

Brooklyn1

I'm not sure, but the photo looks as if either someone sat on the hedge or a large animal ate part of it. I don't think it is really leaning.

I would wait until March, when the coldest weather should be gone. Then carefully prune the hedge just enough to open the damaged area so that you can see inside. Check if there are broken branches; if there are any, cut them out. Before new growth becomes too vigorous, you can then shear the hedge a bit smaller than the desired shape. It should grow back the way you want it.

Reply to
David E. Ross

If it were mine I'd build a white picket fence hard up against it.

Reply to
Peter Jason

Thanks for the advice so far.

Possibly a light issue as it is facing North.

It does look like someone has sat on it but not while I have owned the property (only the last 18 months) and it is getting worse.

The fence idea could work but as I own the hedge it would mean fencing off part of my (already small) garden, so I'm reluctant to do this.

It seems to me that there is two varieties of hedge and the one at the rear is dominant and seems to be pushing over the front one. I imagine I could somehow cut the inside of the hedge to allow space for the hedge to be levelled, but it will naturally fall now. How would I correct this lean?

I'll add another picture later which may help.

Many thanks,

Will

Will Turner

Do you know what the plants are because that would help any readers in giving you possible advice. If there are 2 differing plant species in theis hedge, prehaps you could regularly (or even permanently) cut out the dominant one and just regularly prune the less dominat one.

The other thing that might work would be to put in strong rural type steel pickets (called star pickets in Oz and Y posts in the US but God knows what names Brits give them) on the non leaning side and tie back the hedge with soething really stout like truckies tie downs or cut lenghths of old inner tube and leave it that way for months so that the branches 'set' in that position. I use that technique when I'm training fruit trees.

Reply to
Farm1