A really tall sedum

Page 1 of 2
Does any one know of a tall sedum?
Not Autumn Joy or kin tall (for me around 24" max), but a true back of the border sedum.
Or lacking a true sedum, something with the presence of a sedum that I could use near my tall (6 foot plus) grasses.
Thanks all,
Cheryl
--
Cheryl Isaak
AHS Region 4, USDA Zone 4B/5A

could

Try Amaranthus " Hot Biscuits" parks seed It does better in poorer soil-less lodging.
Amaranthus is neither a Sedum nor a shrub.

the
could
I have an older green variety that came with the house that gets a good 4 foot tall with creamy white "broccoli head" flowers that fade to a soft pinkish. If you want a root I will see what I can do when you send yer address to my snail mail addy madgardener in Eastern Tennessee

could
You are describing the very Hylotelephium (formerly Sedum) 'Autumn Joy' that she doesn't want!!! Its a deciduous perennial not a shrub anyway.

the
Achillea x 'Coronation Gold' gets 24-36" tall. Has golden yellow flowers from late spring to summer with gray-green foliage. It's commonly known as Yarrow. Likes full sun (drought tolerant) and is good in zones 2-8.
Agastache x 'Blue Fortune' gets 40" tall. Blue-lavender flowers with licorice scented leaves bloom from early spring throughout the summer. 'Tutti Frutti' gets 3-4' tall and has tubular pink flowers from mid-summer to frost. It has fragrant foliage that smells like tutti frutti. Both are good in zone 6-9 in full sun.
Baptisia australis "false indigo" - mid to late spring bloomer. Flowers are blue and mature fruit is black. Gets 36" tall and is good in zones 3-10 with full to part sun.
Baptisia pendula "white false indigo" has clusters of white pea like flowers that grow to 40" tall. Zone 3-10.
These are just a few perennials that could be used in front of the grasses. Don't forget Black Eyed Susans, Purple Coneflowers (Echinacea) and Russian Sage. Do a google on the plants listed and you can see what they look like.
Good luck,
Penny Zone 7b - North Carolina

could
Hi Cheryl, If you are looking for blossoms around the time of the fall blooming sedums, why not try a tall variety of Aster. Just make sure that you choose mildew-resistant varieties. Terry

Don't you know that Asters aren't Sedum?

the
None of those are Sedum. They are all deciduous perennials not shrubs. None of them have the presence of a Sedum.

the
I grow most of those - the Achillea comes closest in terms of shape and a hint of winter interest, but it just isn't tall enough. Agastache doesn't survive here (the only people I know that have any luck with it either let it reseed it self or it is sheltered).
I want TALL - 4 foot plus and some hint of four season interest - interesting foliage, color, seed heads.
Thank you for you thoughts, Cheryl
On 2/23/04 6:42 PM, in article Idw_b.38092$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com, "Penny Morgan"

Cheryl, you are just not going to get a full 4 seasons of interest from a perennial, unless it is an evergreen one and I can't think of any that would reach the size you want. Certainly, some form of shrub could work for you, but I'd consider a late season tall growing perennial. Rudbeckia maxima will reach an impressive height and offers the same bright yellow coneflowers and seedheads into autumn and winter that its shorter cousin does. Eupatorium maculatum 'Gateway' is another good choce or any of the perennial sunflowers or Helenium. All are great in combination with grasses and enjoy the same conditions. All hardy to at least zone 4.
pam - gardengal
On 2/24/04 8:41 AM, in article MvI_b.380333$I06.4154991@attbi_s01, "Pam -

One of the reasons I was looking for something "sedum-like" was I truly find 4 seasons of interest. In the spring, I love to see the "nest" of new shoots and the color of the early growth. ( I know I only see this while cleaning up, but it is an important joy.)
What I want most is a fall and winter statement. Seed heads, foliage and something out of the ordinary.
I grow all of the above in your list - I love the Rudbeckia maxima, but not for this spot. I have a "Chocolate" Eupatorium in the bed - it makes a nice transition down to the coral bells which are nearly evergreen.
I know there was Sedum "Indian Chief" on the market at one time - it was billed at 45 inches tall, but every time I got it, never got that tall.
Cheryl
Asclepias comes up in http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=%224+feet%22+perennial http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=%225+feet%22+perennial
Kniphofia gets tall but none for zone 4 probably... cow parsnips are big. angelica. maybe scan the apiaceae?
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=%227+feet%22+perennial
stenanthia (east n amer.)
thistle family
there are huge grasses and some sedges get big...
THE USE OF ORNAMENTAL GRASSES IN THE LANDSCAPE ... The popularity of ornamental grasses gained momentum in the early 80's when Wolfgang Oehme and Jim van Sweden, two Washington DC landscape architects, began ... sudan.cses.vt.edu/html/Turf/orngrass.htm
they use(d) a lot of tall wet plants
another wet lover: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2197 /
or http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=miscanthus+zone though weedy http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/plants/1996su_perennials.html Miscanthus sinensis 'Strictus' (porcupine grass) Many grasses are very easy to grow. This one has yellow and gold horizontal bars on its leaves. Silvery plumes in fall, ornamental throughout winter; grows up to 8 feet tall. USDA: 5 to 8/Sunset: all zones. Full sun. Propagate by division. Caution: Miscanthus sinensis is beginning to turn up on invasive plant lists in Northeastern and Middle Atlantic states
"Berberis fendleri" probably conforming to the common overblown description of plants: http://www.highcountrygardens.com/shop/prod.html?class=specials&id <5c1720dbd81f5fe47bdcfcf5757069

would
you,
will
and
Eupatorium
sunflowers
same
find
shoots
not
nice
climate? soil?
Ok, then how about Diablo nine bark? dark almost black-burgandy leaves, exfoliating bark as it matures, nice fall color, with the bark and stems showing nicely during winter. Or for that matter, can you grow Oak leaf hydrangea? THAT is a four season plant............... madgardener

the
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:46:52 -0500, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Piet Oudolf has a book "Gardening with Grasses" which has a good selection of plants that go well with grasses. Depending on the height of the grass, you might try Solidago "Fireworks" or Eupatorium "Chocolate" or Aster "Lady in Black". If you don't need to go as high, try a combo of things like Echinops and Knautia macedonica. Leucanthemum "Becky" works, too. It's really up to you and what statement you wish to make.
On 2/24/04 6:58 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com,

Hmm - I have to wonder if the Echinops might work there too. I just really want some height.
Cheryl
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:53:52 -0500, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Veronicastrum and Cimicifuga are fun plants, too.
Much depends on the height of your grasses. Which grasses do you have?
You certainly wouldn't want anything to compete with them or hide their beauty.
On 2/24/04 11:10 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com,

One of the grasses is "Dallas Blues", the other is a no name that is finer textured. DB gets over 6 foot, no name around 7 foot and a nice green and a spiky bloom.
What I want is a "echo" effect, to repeat a great planting of a variegated miscanthus, sedum Neon and a dark leaf coral bell - max height is about 3 feet and about 4 feet around.
So, I have the great grasses, lots of height, lots of coral bells. For now, I have daylilies there, but as much as I love them, not there. I want that late summer in to winter interest.
Cheryl
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:03:14 -0500, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Another Oudolf book is Dream Plants for the Natural Garden. Great photos. He also has one about desiging with plants.
Helenium Bruno Monarda Jacob Cline or Raspberry Wine Sanguisorba Stachys grandiflora Filipendula purpurea
You could always add Pennisetum Rubrum. It's an annual in northern climies but nice. Another grass, you would like, is Pennisetum Moudry which has gorgeous black seed heads.