Any tall indoor plant suggestions?

I'm looking for a suitable tall plant to live indoors. I've got a space with high ceilings: 15-20'. We live in San Francisco, Zone 9. There's a large skylight above the area, and a south facing glass wall about 15' away. I know ficus might work but any other suggestions? Smaller pots are ideal (less than 30" diameter)but we'd go for something larger if necessary...

Many thanks.

Reply to
RG

How about sapharilla? (SP?)

Reply to
chaz

The message from "RG" contains these words:

Lucky you; I've had to give away superb plants which outgrew our ceilings. Some of them are now outgrowing their much higher new homes :-) Plants which have outgrown us include different kinds of ficus (benjamina, and one with long narrow leaves) and rubber plant.A multiple stemmed yucca will reach the ceiling soon.

Whatever you choose, it makes life easier to keep big pots on a mobile drip-tray with castors, so that you can easily turn them and keep the growth even on all sides of the plant. I also like to take mine outdoors a couple of times a year on a warm day, to give the foliage a through wash with a hosepipe.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Hi RG,

Sounds like a lovely setting. It is a high light area so here are som that come to mind.

Schefflera aka Umbrella Tree - Brassaia actinophylla Several different varieties of this plant so I'm listing the botanicl name as other varieties don't get as tall. This one has large leave that will need dusting from time to time.

- Yucca elephantipes Not my favorite, but doesn't need much attention for water, so if yo like to water, this isn't for you.
you want something that blooms think about a tropical hibiscus Hibiscus rosa-sinensis (there are hardy varieties for outdoors i colder climates).
you like flowers and fragrance in a tree, how about Brugmansia?
's one you won't see often and may have trouble finding with re leaves and odd blooms. Leea coccinea - West Indian Holly aka Red Leea
that blooms and is interesting are the Heliconia. Man varieties but this one is supposed to be the most beautiful. HELICONIA ROSTRATA - Lobster Claw
can also search here or use these as reference.

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

I'd suggest gold-dust dracaena or a bamboo.

Reply to
SedumQueen