Subject Author Posted Replies

Speaking of dill
My dill is blooming now, and my cucumbers got a *really* late start and are only about 3 inches tall. What's the best stage to pick the dill and stuff it into bags in the freezer to wait for the...
1
1

It finally came!
My Seed Savers catalog that is. Me and a friend(who demanded I let her look at it and request one for her too) and my mother kinda drooled on it, and said friend wants to eventually start a...
9
9

How Far Food Travels From Field to Fork [VIDEO]
Nice little animated video....... Charlie How Far Food Travels From Field to Fork [VIDEO] Posted by Adam Howard on June 27, 2007 at 6:01 AM. The clip to your right was created by video artist Molly...

No Sweat Bees On the Dill
The dill is in full bloom. Every year in the past it attracted swarms of sweat bees. This year....none. Not a single sweat bee. The only bee I have seen in the garden in the last week was one...
6
6

Decline of birds startles experts
Hmmmmmm........fewer birds, more bugs, more poison........ Charlie Posted on Mon, Jun. 25, 2007 Decline of birds startles experts A loss of habitat is cited as the primary factor. Some point to global...
2
2

Creative gardeners find homemade solutions
Gardeners and landscapers are some of the most ingenious and creative people you will ever meet. Just when I think I've heard it all, I hear about another novel approach to a garden problem. Today,...

Mosquito Magnet
We just bought a Mosquito Magnet out of desperation. Sounds too good to be true but we had to do something. Does anyone out there have any experience with these? A search on line is very unrewarding....
10
10

Sassafras Tree
Can anyone recommend a company we can order a Sassafras tree from? We live in zone 5 Ohio and haven't found any nearby. One reason I want a Sassafras tree is because it brings back a fond memory of my...
3
3

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Banana Update
Just about a year ago (July 2006) I told the story of our "Hallelujah Banana". This is a house plant we have been nurturing since 1985 thinking that we would give it just one more year before giving...
5
5

What fruit is this?
I moved into a house and now in the summer one of the trees in the backyard is bearing some kind of fruit. I have no idea what it is. They look sort of like giant red grapes or plums. I uploaded...
11
11

bringing a dogwood back from its death bed
Hello, I have a flowering dogwood I am trying to save from my boxer's attempt of killing it. Last fall this tree stood about 4ft tall and through the winter my boxer puppy started bitting off the...
5
5

Cluless -- but would lie a rock garden
Hi, I am interested in a rock garden but am basically completely clueless as to what is involved. I live in New York State, Westchester county. I think I am in an unusual position in that I have the...

Biointensive Gardening
I've often mentioned biointensive gardening. Here are a few links to explain this method. Simply search for "biointensive gardening" for all the info you could want. I'm working towards this, and even...
15
15

The importance of Fruit and Vegetable Juices in your Diet
Stupidity knows no party labels. You'll love this: When my son was in 9th grade, he was having problems with algebra, and the teacher repeatedly told him he didn't have time to stay after school to...
33
33

transplant pawpaw
Is it possible to move a two foot high pawpaw? I know they have long taprooots. When and how could such a move be done? Alan
4
4