zone 5, what to do with south side house?

Page 2 of 2

Thanks, I will look into that winter tarragon, spring is still a dream :)

βœ–
Billy wrote:

Yes I am about 9b according to minimum winter temperature. I can have rain all year round (not mainly in winter) but it tends to fall in concentrated bursts which can lead to waterlogging also summer can be very humid (like now). Many herbs from round the Med like lighter better draining soils. To grow rosemary I have to put it in a pot or the roots rot in any wet spell.
βœ–

Sounds like France, which gets about 3 days of rain per month, at a minimum.
In Germany, few seemed to grasp the concept of needing a hose to water plants.
Here in N. California, rain usually falls (30" [76 cm]) from October 1 to April 30. After that, the greens hill turn a "golden" brown from May through Sept.

My soil is clay, and my herbs are in pots, but we don't get humidity. Is this, overcast and hot humidity?

To the OP let me suggest peanuts. It's an interesting/edible plant that needs heat and sunshine.
--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the
Billy wrote:

That's it. The temperature is only reaching about 28C (82F) but the humidity is 80-90%, then you get 6mls (1/4 in) of rain which does nothing for the soil but everything for the mould.

Assuming it is sufficiently warm will the growing season be long enough?
βœ–

I'm in Ohio, The best thing grows in my Southside backyard is tomatoes.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Americas favorite and number one garden plant is.... Tomatoes... Yes!

βœ–

Hmm, that's another good idea. I don't have a good place prepared for them right now, and that certainly would be a good area for growing them. Lots of sun, and they do seem to like heat.
If I don't grow tomatoes there, however, I can grow them along the chain link fence that goes along the entire south side of our back yard. I was planning on getting that set up for vegetables early this spring.
Now I'm torn between the various choices.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's your best bet. They'll love the extra heat.
Start looking right now at some varieties you can't get at the local nurseries. Start your seeds in a few weeks.
Plant a few varieties as you never know which one will like this summer's weather best. One year my plums will be larger than my beefsteaks-- another year the early tomatoes don't fruit until after the plums.
Put some odd colored tomatoes in the mix. I don't know if they taste all that different, but it really impresses non-gardeners that you have purple/yellow/pink/orange/green/'black' or spotted tomatoes.
Plant them on trellises & make a shady spot to sit and eat them.
In my garden I *have* to have at least- a couple cherry tomatoes a few pasta tomatoes a couple early a couple huge a lot of celebrity- my favorite tasting tomato most years a few of something new a few more 'new to me' varieties
That ought to cover that space nicely. nice thing about tomatoes is soil prep isn't too bad. Dig a hole- amend it- mulch around it. Straw/newspapers/carpet/pavers all make good paths through the tomato space.

The hard part of that is weeding both sides of the fence. If it is a boundary fence you neighbor will spray with a herbicide about the time your veggies are thriving. . . or not, and they'll be choked by his weeds.

Wait until you have the vision of what you want it to look like- and need to choose which varieties to do it with.<g> It is a *good* dilemma, though.
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–