Xmas dinner

So, what will you be eating that you grew?
I'll be going down to the allotment Saturday morning and dig up parsnips and leeks, and pick sprouts and curly kale.
Plus beans (broad and runner), spuds and carrots already harvested.
No livestock allowed on our plots or I'd have grown a turkey :-))
Incidentally, the Royal Institution Christmas lectures this year are about food and the way it works our bodies. Starting Boxing day on Channel 5 (UK).
Happy Christmas everybody.
Steve
On 20/12/05 13:00, in article do8vc5$p3j$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk, "shazzbat"

What a coincidence! Ray was just saying at lunch that Geoff Hamilton and his brother used to have a competition each year. The competition was to see how many veg they could cook for Christmas lunch that they had grown themselves. Ray doesn't recall who the winner was but thinks the final number (including home grown and frozen) was 14. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
shazzbat wrote:

we'll have lettuces and snowpeas in a salad. Broccoli, steamed and finished with sliced garlic in olive oil. Maybe beet greens or beetroots or both, maybe not, haven't decided. -aem
shazzbat wrote:

Only sprouts for me this year, maybe an onion in the stuffing too, everything else will be shop bought, but those sprouts will taste extra special to me as they're one of the first crops of anything I've had worth eating.

You too.

small print to find out when they were on S4C about a week later. Now they have moved to another channel which does NOT have national coverage ( and never intends to ) so I shan't be able to watch them at all - boo hiss grumble grumble. T.

Beeb.
Steve
Does homegrown pork count?
John!
GA Pinhead wrote:

Of course! from experience I can honestly say that it is much better than the supermarket stuff.
On 12/20/05 12:22 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "GA Pinhead"

Bill
-- Ferme le Bush
21 Dec 2005 01:27:19 GMT:

Good one Bill. <GD&R>
--
Regards Erik Vastmasd

Nothing's growing here in southern Idaho except for a little bit of cilantro under two inches of snow. But we'll have squash soup for dinner and sugar snap peas to go with the roast chicken. We might have enough lettuce growing in the washbasin on the porch for a salad. And there will be strawberries that we put up last June for Christmas morning.