What to grow

Hi, I have recently moved into my first home and it has a nice - but overgrown back garden. I want to make a patch to grow some fruit and veg in but really dont know what will grow outside in the english weather. I do have space for a greenhouse would it be worth investing?
Has anyone got any sugestions about what i could grow that would give me the most yeald for the smallest space and that will be tasty.
Thanks
--
Richard's Patch

Richard's Patch wrote:

What is the climate like at your place? England isn't a huge place but there is still quite a bit of difference between coastal Cornwall and some northern upland moor. How about joining the local garden club and asking the them what grows where you are.
David
What is the climate like at your place? England isn't a huge place but
there is still quite a bit of difference between coastal Cornwall and some
northern upland moor. How about joining the local garden club and asking
the them what grows where you are.
David
I live just near derby, not very exposed. Seem to be ok weather for england!
--
Richard's Patch

Richard's Patch wrote:

Richard, a couple of things to help.
I am a very long way from Derby and so would be many others who come here and they probably don't know the place, I don't. I don't know what "OK weather for England" is, local rumour has it that the weather in Old Blighty is often bloody terrible!
The kinds of edibles that you can grow depends on climate: the length of the growing season, annual temperature range, degree of frost or freezing and in some cases humidity. Another major factor to consider is the nature of your soil and how much trouble you are prepared to take to amend it. I suggest you need to do some research to find these things out or at least some of them if you want have a chance of getting good results and to have an international newsgroup be able to help you.
If you ask the local garden club they will already know this and much more and can short circuit the whole enquiry by telling you directly what will and will not grow easily. In this part of the world such folk are mainly friendly and helpful, I would guess they are in yours too. If you are a beginner I suggest avoiding things that would be marginal, just because it is possible to grow some exotics where you are doesn't make it a good place to start.
You newsreader does not seem to mark quoted text, if it can do this it will make reading threads from multiple contributors much easier.
David

interface to several usenet gardening newsgroups. Although, the web-based service differentiates quotes by color, it may not distinguish them when passing to a text-based NNTP service. Also, there seems to be a bit of a problem with the page's coding or with the user.... I did not register and so do not know how the interface is presented to users who reply to posts. http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t 7416
From what I can determine, the entire "xxxbanter" hierarchy is a half-baked commercial effort to capitalize on usenet. Sort of a grand English "Googlegroups" rip, I guess you'd say. Maybe it'll get "better". In a perfect world, of course, it simply would disappear.
Balvenieman wrote:

You may be right but I seem to recall seeing other posters from there whose messages had attribution by indented symbols.

For your needs, though, do as David suggested, and ask the local garden club, or nurseries, about what will and will not grow easily for YOU.
--
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the
poor have no food, they call you a communist."

HI Richard,sounds like a great idea,have you had any sucess in finding any info out?