Weird Weather

Out here in the wilds of Washington State, we're still having Summer! My tomatoes and peppers are still blooming and ripening and we've had temps in the 80's much of this month. Our first really good frost is likely tonight, and then three days from now the forecast is calling for 80 degrees again. I dunno...have never seen such warm weather this late in the year here. Is anyone else in other areas of the country having wacky weather?
Regards, Bill
We just got our first snow of the fall here in Syracuse today.

in
tonight,
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:06:31 -0700, "Bill Litchfield"

We have had weird weather all year.
The first (heavy) frost here in our corner of northern Pennsylvania was on October 2. It's been sleeting most of the morning today. :(
Pat
--
To email me, remove the spam trap and type my first
name in its place.

in
tonight,
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:06:31 -0700, Bill Litchfield wrote:

Yup ... on the threat of snow last week I pulled my tomatoes out. Smells to be me ... we still haven't had first frost! Deep planted garlic is showing shoot tips.
(Not that I am complaining, mind you ... but if it aint coming, would somebody please let me know for certain so I can get my ground replanted?)
Bill
On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:26:11 -0500, "Bill"

We had several heavy frosts, temps down to around 25 F. Fine.
Then it got warm.... and it's been very warm for about the last two weeks - 50-70s. This is annoying!
Very frustrating. It could have waited on the frosts, you know, and then we'd have had the tomatoes (etc.) much longer. I already miss the tomatoes!
Pat
--
To email me, remove the spam trap and type my first
name in its place.
warm?!? its been high 80s here with 90%+ humidity...
now THAT is warm..warm and uncomfortable
wrote:

replanted?)
Bill wrote:

First frost November 7, 2003; 28.9F was the low in my backyard (corner of I-96 and Telegraph Rd. in Detroit, MI)
It is 22.1F as I write this at 3:30 a.m. on the morning of the 9th.
Well, time to get the rest of the garlic in, I guess.
Sigh ... I wish it would stay summer about 11 months and get spring and fall over with in the other month. No need for winter at all. :-)
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)
I operate my own mail server (Postfix on Mandrake Linux). The above address
Noydb said:

I had light, patchy frosts in October. The big whomp arrived overnight on the 7th, though. My mutant sugar maple (which seems to think it's an oak) finally started dropping leaves.
The lawn is going to need another mow or two.

Got mine planted, got a bale of straw ready to mulch the bed.

NO way... I'd like winter to be a little less gloomy (and a tiny bit shorter). I think we could maybe double up on September and October and repeat the first half of May two or three times, skipping November, February and part of January, along with some of the muggiest summer days.
And winters should have plenty of snow. Not all at once, though. Repeated snowfalls, no more than 4 inches at a time.

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 03:29:39 -0500, Noydb

Two days in a row (Wed, Thu) of record 85F here in SE Virginia. Yesterday the weathercritters began reporting windchill numbers, and overnight temperatures in the 20s somewhat inland. It's a balmy 45F right now.

Try Hawaii. 80F year 'round in many parts. I *like* seasons, although I'd also like the wealth to enjoy a carefree attitude toward summer and winter utility bills.
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 03:29:39 -0500, Noydb

Hehe. First frost here in Pennsylvania's chilly Northern Tier: October 2. Low temperature that night was 26 F.
Since then, we've had several heavy frosts but a lot of nice warm weather as well.
Last night was cold: I have a min-max thermometer so I know the lows -- it was 11 F here last night. We have a very heavy frost on the ground. I think the Swiss chard froze - darn, I should have covered it up. The kale is fine.

I need a rest. ;) I don't need as LONG a rest from gardening as I'll get, but a couple of months would be nice. Say, about two-three months.
Pat -- To email me, remove the trap and type my first name in its place. "Rats and roaches live by competition under the laws of supply and demand. It is the privilege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy." - Wendell Berry