Watermelon ?

How does one know that watermelons are ripe on the vine, other than the morning after coyotes ruin the whole patch? Since animal repellant washes away with rain/watering, I'd like to start applying it a couple of weeks before harvesting but I can't tell when that time is until it's too late. Or does animal repellant even work with wiley coyotes?
Red
Add pictures here
✖

It may not be a viable option for you, but we haven't had any problems with coyotes or deer since we got a dog. Unfortunately, the slugs aren't afraid of her ; )
Newb
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 21, 11:55 am, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.org wrote:

Must be a big dog. Coyotes will kill a small one. And no, a dog is not an option for me.
Add pictures here
✖