Wasps: Muddabbers and Yellow Jackets

[posted to ba.garden, too--TR]
Damnation and Brimstone!
These pests are raiding my beef steak, Brandywine, and cherry toms! They're also doing a number on my brand new basil and what's left of my chives! Besides bring out the Big Bertha cannon (Ortho's will-shoot-25-feet-with-dead-eye-precision power-spray oil), is there a more natural, less catastrophic, method of sending these pest on their way? (The oil is very affective but it kills anything it hits.)
The Ranger

You sure they are the culprits???
Generally, they prey on the true tomato parasites.....
Might want to do some googling. :-)
--
Peace!
Om

The Ranger wrote:

I wouldn't be too hasty in running the wasps off, they're probably killing caterpillars to feed their young larvae. Those types don't generally mess with garden truck as they're meat eaters, ie larvae of the stuff that is eating your truck.
George
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:43:30 -0700, "The Ranger"
Wasps and Yellow Jackets are carnivorous; they will be laying their eggs inside the Hornworms that are damaging your tomatoes. Yep, inside. Later, you will see the white pupae of the wasps extending from the worms. Picture at:
http://entweb.clemson.edu/cuentres/cesheets/benefici/ce174.htm
Seems like the general opinion is that wasps are carnivourous. Well, I must have some meaty Redhaven Peaches, as wasps were all over them gorging themselves. My method was to put up wasp traps and bait them with a little apple juice. I was emptying these traps daily when the tree was full of peaches. If you can find the nest, destroy it with the proper sprays.
Sherwin D.