vertical gardening & tomato cages

Those tiny little plants are growing every day and maybe I didn't plant them far enough apart. I wonder which plants, other than tomatoes, would benefit from the tomato conical cages? Going or growing up would three demensionally give me more space. What about peppers? I staked them but should I also put cages round them? I think zuchinni and eggplant might be to heavy to grow vertically. I planted the cucumbers near the fence, so they should climb and be somewhat out of the way.
Do you put stakes in for Rosemary plants?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

I use the square foot gardening method which means many of the plants grow vertically via staking. I stake tomato plants and DH built a support ladder for them. I find the cages to be too unsturdy. I don't stake peppers. I don't stake zucchini but could. I like cutting zucchini when they are about 6" - 8" long. Squashes can be staked with the squash itself being supported by a sling. Other veggies I staked: cucumber, beans, and peas. I don't stake rosemary or any other herbs that I grow.
Add pictures here
✖
You can grow squash, cucumber, melons.. vine plants in general as long as you provide some means of support. One recommended support (? from Bob Thompson of The New Victory Garden?) is used pantyhose; the fruit is cradled in the toe/foot area. Strong and lightweight, etc.
My tomato cages are industrial strength, i.e. concrete reinforcing wire. Tomatoes are up to my shoulder as of today (zone 5 Iowa).
Add pictures here
✖
gonzo wrote:

Tromboncino zucchini is a vining type. It will do fine on any reasonably strong trellis. No need to support the fruit, it hangs on strong stems. The fruit get up to three feet long but I usually harvest it at about half that. It is long and slender with a bulbous area on the blossom end that some times turns up, giving it it's trombone resemblance. All the seeds are in the bulbous end leaving the long main section solid flesh. Picture and ordering info: http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/Tromboncino_P2395C155.cfm
Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”     Cicero
Add pictures here
✖

I wonder if anyone sells used pantyhose at a reasonable price with reasonable shipping?
--
My previous cat Rocket thought that every time I ate something he
should get some canned cat food. Marmaduke, the cat I have now,
Daniel Prince wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

I searched for "used pantyhose" on ebay and found nothing.

--
I have found several good doctors. I just have not been able
to figure out how to climb through my TV screen to go to them.

I picked up a whole bag full for $1.00 at a yard sale last year. I also use them to tie up plants that want to go the wrong direction.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation,
✖
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:36:01 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

I put the small tomato cages around my peppers, the $.98 ones I can get at the local Big Box store. I'm not so worried about the plants needing support as I am in protecting from that dreaded garden pest, _Canis lumbercus_ var. Labrodorus mixus, also known as Matilda The Large-Footed And Whomp-Assed.
I did put larger tomato cages around my Corno Di Toro peppers. All hurricanes that hit Florida might have been mere tropical storms by the time they got to South Carolina last year; but every time one blew through, it would snap off a pepper-laden branch of one of the Corni Di Toros. This year I'm prepared!

No, I put rosemary on my steaks, though.
Penelope
✖
I stake my pepper plants cuase they will fall over when heavy with fruit. A cage seems uneccessary.
Cages worked great for spaghetti squash, cucumber, green beans, and all tomatoes. I did cage(3' high) zucchini and it grew upward, but the leaves are just so big that it still spreads out far beyond the cage. This year I have them by the back hedge so they can sprawl about at the edge of the garden some.
The conical cage should work very well for green beans or cukes.
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 3rd year gardener http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&.src=ph
Add pictures here
✖