Cherry Trees

My friend has two very large cherry trees, a Bing and a Queen Anne. He told me that he got the Queen Anne tree in the mail 4 years ago and it now it must be 40 ft high.

He exaggerates a lot and I wonder if that is possible for a tree to grow that fast. He also told me he was offered $50,000 each for his three very large Birch or Oak or Elm trees. They are very large, maybe close to 80 or 100 feet high and very wide, but $50,000. That means, someone would have to pay at least $100,000 for it, with the removal, cleanup, transporting, excavating and transplanting.

I don't doubt there are people around who'd pay for it, there is too much money around for the top 1%, but he said he didn't even have to guarantee that the tree would live.

Reply to
xx1xx

... that the tree would live?? Wow, I was assuming they were valuable for lumber or something. Your friend claims they want to transplant 100 foot tall trees? I wouldn't say it couldn't be done because they do amazing things but more likely I think your friend is a kook. :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

haha, as he said it to me, people buy multi million dollar homes and they want trees right away, not to have to wait 15 years. There is so much money around today because of all the tax cuts for just being wealthy that people spend liike crazy on anything they want. Why would anyone spend $100,000 for a bottle of wine?

Reply to
xx1xx

I've seen both pines and elms put on 40 feet in just three years.

I have a pair of elms left from my "potted forest" that were about 15 years old and terminally rootbound when they finally got put in the ground. At the time they were about 4 feet tall (having been trimmed by sheep several times). Two years later they are both over 20 feet tall and accellerating. By this fall they will probably hit 30 feet. This despite rather limited water (I'm in the desert).

That's probably about the going rate for a mature tree in the yuppie parts of California. In the Bay area, you can't buy a shack for under a million dollars. $100k for a mature tree is nothing to those people.

~REZ~

Reply to
Rez

Seems rather impossible. Consider the current diameter of the trunks against the widest growth rings you've ever seen in your area. I have two cherry trees and they seem to grow at a typical rate.

Reply to
Dave