Tree Fungus...please identify

anyone have a clue what this is?
http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=almo&AID 54751&Pres=Y
I live in north east florida, and I believe this to be a myrtle oak.
hope that helps.
york
york said:

Looks to be some type of gall. These are formed on the leaf by either an insect (on oaks, usually small wasp, but also small flies) or by mites. Leaf galls are mainly a cosmetic problem. Best treatment is to clean up the leaves when they fall and destroy them.
(TWIG galls, on the other hand, can severely damage or even kill oak trees.)

On 26 Aug 2004 18:28:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (york) wrote:

Do you have any junipers near your oak? Junipers are notorious for being gall carriers. The ones here in NJ seem to affect nearby crabapples rather fiercely and your photos is quite similar to what afflicts by mine.
Boron
Do you have any junipers near your oak? Junipers are notorious for being gall carriers. The ones here in NJ seem to affect nearby crabapples rather fiercely and your photos is quite similar to what afflicts by mine.
Boron
Well actually it isn't "my" oak tree. It is in the woods. I have no earthly idea what a juniper looks like. I am a photographer and my main interest is in nailing down the taxonomy of whatever that lil' bugger on the leaf is.
thanks,
york
If your interest is truly taxonomic it's interesting that you have no idea what a juniper looks like. Thomas

f your interest is truly taxonomic it's interesting that you have no idea what a juniper looks like. Thomas
As a photographer my taxonomic intrest is simply in finding out what my subject is. I am not a gardener. Unless I take a picture of juniper then I have no need to know what it is. Although in the interest of sience I have looked it up. There are no such trees near my subject. york
So it was a good day for you, because you increased your taxonic knowledge. One can not know too much. I have been a professional photographer for 35 years, and if you want to really learn something, learn to garden. Truly, the more you learn, the more you learn you don't know. Thomas