this year's garden

I'm pretty excited. The weather is getting warmer here (Ireland - Monaghan), and my fingers are getting itchy for handling a spade.

Last year, I had great results from some cucumbers/marrows from a spot right by my front gate. Most of the back garden stuff didn't work out too well, but I've worked hard on clearing away any weeds and digging some raised beds (4x4). I'm hoping thatll dissuade the nettles from coming back, but I know I'll still have trouble with them this year.

So far, I've planted parsnips, potatoes, rosemary, peas, and broadbeans. The garlic and rosemary share half a plot each.

I'll be planting lettuce between the garlics as spring heats up (as suggested by someone a few weeks ago in this newsgroup).

I made a propagator out of an old hamster cage - sort of like an aquarium, with a grill top. In that, I've sown tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, peppers, and chili peppers (tabasco). I've never had luck with those kinds of plants, but maybe this year... here's to hoping!

After work, I'll be planting onions, and more potatoes. I'm hoping there'll be enough light for me to continue my digging.

I'm building the raised beds by simply digging pathways and throwing the soil on top of the adjacent plots. Next year, I may build proper walls for the plots, and ut down bricks for the pathways, as I noticed the pathways get pretty muddy when it rains.

Looking forward to a more sustainable year, Kae

Reply to
Kae Verens

[...]

Good for you Kae. You're obviously getting better weather than we are in southern UK. My front garden which never gets any sun until April because of surrounding houses still has traces of last weeks snow on it! I went to the allotment at the weekend, but could only do a bit of marking out and general tidying before a heavy sleet shower sent me running for home :-((

I think it will be at least a couple of weeks yet before I get the first early praties in. May be able to start some seeds off in the GH if it gets milder this week as forecast.

I would keep your eyes on skips locally for any slabs being chucked out, use them for your paths if you get lucky.

Anyway, good luck.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat