Thanks for inviting me to join your group

I mostly grow bearded irises and daylilies, but enjoy anything garden related. If you have websites or web photo albums for your garden, I'd love for you to invite me to browse. Thanks, Cathy
http://cathysplants.googlepages.com

alt.pictures.binaries.gardens
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

She might not be able to get there using Google Groups. (However, doing a search for alt.pictures.binaries.gardens might reveal a site that allows access.)
Puckdropper

Good point...
Can't help but wonder when GG will join the modern world and carry binaries.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
omp snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Considering the cost of storage to do such a thing and what they charge for the service; probably never. Consider that text groups are probably less that 5% of the stuff thats sent to Usenet groups in toto.
        Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

They could always start a "pay for" service that would include filtering options.....
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
omp snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

They'd have to beat out other news service providers that are already doing that. Supernews doesn't offer any options, but between what they do filter and my filters I see very little dreck.
        Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

I'm using Giganews and their filters seem to be pretty good, and MT's filters are also easy to use. I killfile more subject than posters tho'. :-)
For some reason, Supernews banned me via my server. <sigh> I was not warned and have no idea why. I could download messages but not post and my server customer support was no help! I can only presume that I managed to get blocked.
It's okay tho', I can afford Giganews and they have a better Newsfeed.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
says...>>

I'd agree... probably never. There's also legal issues to look in to, such as illegal software being uploaded to some groups. I could see someone like Google carrying binary groups with the *.pictures.* segment in their name, but I don't think it will happen soon. (There's also some legal issues with age-restricted "pictures" groups...)
Puckdropper

It always surprises me what groups are carried on some servers... Can't they be selective using filters?
Some of those binaries groups look really twisted. :-(
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

You can see some of the numbers here:
http://www.newsadmin.com/usenet.asp
Such as 91.4% of the posts are between 100KB and 499KB. Yesterdays feed was around 5 million+ posts.
        Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Lucky I guess that a large number of Internet users don't know about usenet eh? <G> I mention it at work sometimes and just get blank stares.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.