Strawberry Plant

If you are thinking about planting strawberry plants this spring, you will need to purchase bare root plants. When using bare roots you will have to put off picking strawberries the first summer as the root system is not fully established and will hurt your plants.
You could wait until fall to plant your strawberries. Using this method will save a lot of time picking off the blooms this summer and still will allow you to pick strawberries next year.
Here is a source for both the strawberry plant in bare root and also potted fall plants. http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/category/buy-strawberry-plants-online-at-garden-harvest-supply
I will be glad to answer any questions you may have about the strawberry plant.
snipped-for-privacy@stollandstutzman.com wrote:

How does this work? The plant is using the energy to grow the fruit regardless of whether you pick them, the birds eat them or they rot on the spot.
David
sometime in the recent past David Hare-Scott posted this:

Can't give you a technical reason, but it's the same logic of not breeding dogs, cats, cows, whatever until they are mature enough to handle the strain on their systems. I'm not sure that it's the same thing, but rather than wait for strawberries to appear, just pick off the blossoms. The plant will regroup, put energy into the roots and try harder next time. Good luck.
And from what I understand, those strawberry crowns will produce well for a couple of years and then production will slow. Farmers will take some of the runners that set roots and use them to start new rows, so you only need to buy crowns the first time.
--
Wilson N4439" W6712"

Cut the stringers and you will get bigger strawberries.
I have been lurking here picking up all sorts of useful information. My son ordered me a "strawberry tree" . Hasn't come yet but, does anyone know about this "tree" or is it a waste of his money.

http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/category/buy-strawberry-plants-online-at-garden-harvest-supply

Wikipedia is your friend. Hope you live somewhere warm. Disturbingly, Google came up with a sponsored link from a nursery in Georgia with a known terrible reputation.

By that do you mean Arbutus Unedo, aka Irish Strawberry Tree? Lovely trees, especially when they get old.