Storing Potatoes

Does anyone have a good method for storing potatoes? Keeping them refrigera ted works, but we have limited refrigerator space. A few years back, we put them in old milk crates in the basement but they rotted. I thought of vacu um packing them and storing the vacuum bags in the basement, where it's coo l.
Paul
Pavel314 wrote:

we don't grow them here or even bother to store any we have other than keeping them in the dark cupboard until we use them.
they seem to do ok as long as they are kept dark, dry and cool. maybe layers of newspapers between them might help?
another possibility is to pressure can them which then means no fridge or freezer space is needed.
i've heard some people leave them in the ground until they need them. since i've found them in the worm buckets some time after i think they'd do ok that ways for some time.
i wish i could grow sweet potatoes as a perennial here. they are a pretty cool looking edible ground cover besides the tuber having such good nutrition and flavor.
songbird

I have found this to be the best method for potatoes. Sometimes not very convenient, but at least they keep perfectly until they start to sprout when spring arrives.
On this topic, does anyone have some good storage solutions for garlic and pumpkins? by that I mean aside from the common methods... which work well, but not for long enough I find.
Jeßus wrote: ...

depends upon what type of garlic and what condition it is in when harvested.
first make sure they are well cured and then place them in flats and cover them with towels to keep them dark. i then leave them in the garage all winter (which does get freezing cold and the temperature and humidity fluctuates).
the garlic i picked a few days ago will be fine up until next spring or later.
in contrast i brought some inside and stored it in flats here in my room. it didn't do nearly as well. too warm, not enough humidity, too much light, not sure which or of course all of these factors could be a problem.
songbird

A somewhat belated thank you songbird, I like the towel idea which I will try. I've been hanging my garlic in a garage too, which keeps cool most of the time.
Jeßus wrote: ...

old towels. :)
i barely will have one flat this year by the time i get the planting cloves ready.
songbird