Potatoes

We've got about 8 potatoes that have rather large eyes on them. They're ready to be planted, but there's a few problems I've run into. First, I'm in northern Indiana, so planting anything right now with the snow cover and frostline is probably out of the question. Second, I'm planning on moving about June, that's not enough time for potatoes, is it?

Any suggestions on what I can do to not let these guys go to waste? (Eat 'em faster the next time, I know.) How much room do the potatoes need underground to grow?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

5 months? thats enough time. Not sure they will grow well in frosty ground. Try growing them in containers in a sunny sheltered area. You can take them with you if not quite done by then.

rob

Reply to
George.com

you could give it a spin. Plant them in late march, after having solarized the soil with plastic for the whole month to make it ready. Then if late frosts don't get them, there will be small potatoes by the end of june. I pick mine in July anyway, Ann Arbor area.

Reply to
simy1

Im from north new zealand, its usually good potatoe growing weather all year round but i can help you to grow potatoes in such a cold climate, try stacking up to rubber tyres and filling them with a rich fertilizer, growing your potatoes in rubber tyres keeps the soil generally warmer then under the snow!!!, this way works really well we grow alot of potatoes. Its not a hard thing to grow but they taste delicious with heaps of butter!

Reply to
samz1213