squirrel took a chunk out of my cantalope.

A squirrel took a chunk out of my cantaloupe.
About the size of a nickel. and half a nickel deep.
Cantaloupe is 4 inches round. '
Does that mean its going to rot out or something.
Or will it be alright. And I can leave it cut the section out when its bigger.
Thanks
Diesel.

Bacteria will probably rot it. I suggest Chicken wire next time.
Cheers

Leave it on the vine, sometimes they will heal over the damaged area and just leave a scar.