Snow

Ok, Just transplanted some Head Lettuce, Cabbage, and Broccoli and Cauliflower a week ago and now we have a forecast of about 4 inches of snow. Should I cover them with something? if so what? I am know that the coldness will probably not hurt them, but I was more concerned with the weight on top of them?

Thanks Mr. Greenleaf Zone 7

Reply to
Mr. Greenleaf

4 inches of snow. HA HA HA! We just got 90 cm (36") last week and another 30 cm on the way. Check out the photo's at

I don't think that 4" will be heavy enough to do any damage but you could cover them with plastic buckets or cut-off pop bottles.

Reply to
Dan Mazerolle

Snow actually acts as insulation, so whatever's under it is actually warmer than plants exposed to the air. I shovel all my rose beds under as much snow as I can move (about a four-foot deep blanket this winter) and with no other protection, I haven't lost one in three years to winter kill. Put a rose pot or bucket over them and shovel snow on them as soon as there's enough to shovel, they'll be fine.

Reply to
Dataminder