Snap pea fall planting?

I finally have a home and am new to gardening. I broke up the soil along a chainlink fence and planted snap peas this spring. Other than watering them a few times when first planted and tying them back up after they lost their grip during storms, they have been easy, and tasty with vegetable dip.
The plants have now yellowed (would watering help or would the heat get to them anyway?). So I collected and dried a bunch of the mature peas. Is that all I need to do to get seeds for a new crop of the same peas?
I heard snap peas could be planted for a fall crop. When is the best time to do that in northern Illinois, early September?
--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com /

snipped-for-privacy@xnet.com (David Efflandt) wrote:

The heat burns them out eventually; some say a heavy mulch keeping the roots cool will extend their life. yes, you can save the dry peas for seed; In my location in upstate New York, the winter closes in too quickly for a fall crop- by the time it's cool enough to plant them, there's not enough season left. Your mileage may vary; why not try?
They're soooo good!
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:59:31 +0000 (UTC) in

If they're hybrid, you won't, in all likelihood, get the same pea.
snipped-for-privacy@xnet.com (David Efflandt) wrote:

I let the last few snap peas dry on the dying plants. WHen i went to tear up the plants I seeded the leftovers. I now have foot tall plants agina that are produced their first pods this week. I should have waited a week or two more. The lowest leaves of the plants yellowed quickly. You probably can experiment plant 2-3 every week and see which do best.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 2nd year gardener http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier /