short corn

happy spring everyone, every year i attempt at growing corn here in florida, but it never fails that i have some issue with it. the most common one has been midget corn stalks. i may just be ignorant and impatient but it just seems WAY to early for my 4 foot stalks to be attempting to shoot up the flowers already. i haven't over fertilized (blood meal, bone meal and a little 10-10-10 here and there) that i know of. do any of you know of a reason why i am getting this "issue"? i may be just ignorant to the behavior of corn but it just doesn't seem right to me.
thanks!

I have the same problem here... I suspect it is a soil issue. We are going to try tilling in more sand this year and see if that helps.
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the
happy spring everyone, every year i attempt at growing corn here in florida, but it never fails that i have some issue with it. the most common one has been midget corn stalks. i may just be ignorant and impatient but it just seems WAY to early for my 4 foot stalks to be attempting to shoot up the flowers already. i haven't over fertilized (blood meal, bone meal and a little 10-10-10 here and there) that i know of. do any of you know of a reason why i am getting this "issue"? i may be just ignorant to the behavior of corn but it just doesn't seem right to me.
What cultivar are you planting. There are a lot of sweet corn cultivars that are 4 ft at Maturity. Even largers ones like Silver Queen will start the shooting and tasseling process at 4 -5 ft. Corn is a grass and needs more nitrogen than most vegetables, so if the stalks seem yellowish side drees with a high nitogen fertilizer like chicken manure or 10-10-10.

I planted Silver Queen, so that helps some, thank you very much!!
I prepped the bed with tons of chicken manure before planting and use blood meal as my nitrogen boost
Thank you VERY much for the info!!!

also, the leaves are VERY green, so i don't think nitrogen is the issue...thanks again!