Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement?

Hi Everybody,
I am working on long-term plans for self-sufficiency, oriented to buying some bare land and building an off-grid house, rainwater catchment, composting toilet, etc, etc.
One issue is the question of how much physical space would be needed to grow enough food to completely support myself?
I am willing to eat anything that is healthy, preferably remaining vegetarian (although I am quite willing to have chickens for eggs, and perhaps a goat for milk.)
This would involve one person living alone, in decent physical condition, willing to do hard work and learn whatever is needed.
I realise that the yearly food yield will have to be spread out via preserving, canning, etc.
My "day job" can be done remotely, via wireless Internet connection, with flexible hours, thus leaving time and opportunity for extensive gardening/farming, etc.
I do understand the risk of, for example, having a bad year, bad weather, etc, and so would have money set aside to buy food in that case. But the plan is to avoid that if at all possible.
I live in New Zealand, with plenty of rain in winter, but also reasonable sunshine in summer.
So... How many acres of flat, farm-able land will I need?
Thanks in advance!
-V.
--
Guide To DIY Living
http://www.self-reliance.co.nz

Exactly what is meant by off-grid?
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and

Not hooked into the municipality's electricity supply.
The Grid is what went bad on the east coast earlier this year and caused that widespread blackout.
Linda H.
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:15:25 -0500, Noydb

The majority of human manure is bacteria, not fiber
Gunner

even
even worse you shop at places that charge too much for bread. I buy 39 cent bread at aldi. of course I don't eat it anymore, but my wife cannot tell any difference between the 39 cent bread and the $2 bread.

the
on
their
may