Scallions

This year I'd like to again try planting scallions from seed. The last time I put some medium in a tray, then the seed and then more medium. This is okay until it comes time to sow the little plants. Can someone recommend a good system of planting. I have medical problems that make it difficult for me to bend over for any length of time. I would appreciate any and all answers.

It sounds as if you transplant. To avoid that step, you may be able to directly seed into your garden. It should be possible to sow without much (if any) bending over. Weeding may be a different matter...
HTH...     -frank
snipped-for-privacy@u.washington.edu (Frank Miles) wrote:

He can try landscaping fabric to control weeds. I've never tried it but am considering trying it this year in the main garden bed just for grins. I still need to put in my string beans, and I have a couple of sixpacks of brocolli and one of cauliflower.
Cover the ground over with it, then cut a little X in it to plant the seeds or transplants. I've read about it but have no personal experience with it!
Run a soaker hose under it for water. It's also supposed to act as a "mulch" for water conservation.
Anyone ever actually try this for weed control???
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the

time
for
I sow about 10-12 seeds in a 3" pot (in the grenhouse in the case of very early ones) and then when they're starting to fill the pot with roots, I plant out the whole clump and let it do what it wants.
Then I end up with a row of succesional clumps, and can just pull up a clump when needed.
Steve
An extremely good idea Steve.

says...

Sure is - I was going to plant mine directly outdoors, but now I'll try it Steve's way.