Return On Investment

Page 4 of 5
In article

Excellent video and may have answered some questions I have.
I use to have sky high triglycerides. However, the doctor recommended a low gluten diet. It worked within 6 month's my triglycerides was normal. Now I wonder, by not consuming bread products, I also cut back on the sweeteners. At the same time many Non-Gluten books also states no consumption of HFCS. Now I am thinking, perhaps it was not the gluten, but sweeteners that dropped the triglycerides?
I consume more honey (fructose) now than sugar, is that a good move?
The one spot hit me was the large amount of HFCS in baby formulas!
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
βœ–

I am in sad shape :) I make my own junk food: potato chips, peanut brittle, mayo... However, my own processed junk food does not contain exotic chemicals :) The food processor is my friend.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
βœ–

Potatoes fried at a high temp with good oil is a treat. Fresh mayonnaise the same. Brittle with black walnut more to my liking. The term process has much to do with scale and attention to the product in this case food. I'd submit that poorly made home made with fresh products beats large scale reasonable well presented foods. Style after all is not substance by itΉs very definition. A food processor slices and dices. Food processor companies do that too but just as Christ said 12 is enough many more and the relationship is diminished. Cutting to sparse where it all came from and the connection to all life. After all chickens come in a bag and milk in a bottle and forget Veal. Then there is the mater of grateful and being or not being and does it work on a thymus ?
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

One other item one cannot find in super market other than veal, is a meat from a rooster. My chickens are old enough to have connective tissue that makes them better tasting (in my book). Hens for eggs and roosters for dinner.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
βœ–

Truly, an excellent presentation.
--
- Billy
βœ–
Billy wrote:

The content was good. The delivery was rather self indulgent, it could have been, should have been, reduced from 1 1/2 hours to 1. There was too much courting the audience and too much previewing what was to come. In a lecture format questioning of the audience is generally helpful in engaging them however you couldn't hear the audience response so for the viewer it was a waste of time. Of course the small screen format made it impossible to read most of the slides but that is not the lecturers fault. I know, I am hard to please. But the message was good, I learned quite a few things.
David
Add pictures here
βœ–

facts are facts, facts can be stubborn things
I suspect having cheap calories to eat overrides everything else, IMO _____________________________________________________ The world has too many people IMO.
Add pictures here
βœ–
FarmI wrote:

That is problem #1, if it is not dealt with every other problem will become worse. The trick is to deal with it before nature takes its course and solves the problem for us - that will not be pretty.
David
Add pictures here
βœ–

Considering that we are already past the Earth's carrying capacity for humanity, adding another 5 billion people by 2067 doesn't seem to be a very bright idea. I sort of feel like the mastodon being chased towards the cliff, and being told not to worry about it.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrying_capacity> . . . humanity's demand for 1999 exceeded the planet's biocapacity for 1999 by over 20 percent[9].
--
- Billy
βœ–

And you can't make the assumption that organic farming is making a traditional food more toxic.

Not if the cheap calories that are causing life shortening illnesses; metabolic syndrome includes obesity, hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol. One of the reasons that grain was processed was because pests avoided it in favor of whole grains.
--
- Billy
βœ–
Billy wrote:

you can't assume that traditional foods are less toxic to begin with.
i didn't even know until a few weeks ago that rhubarb can be troublesome if you eat it shortly after a frost.

one of many reasons. shelf life/storage concerns, uniformity of texture/moisture levels, avoiding rancidity (removing the germ/oils), residual fungal toxins, and of course getting rid of the impurities to a greater extent. as one person said "no rat/mice feces is the acceptable level in flour used to bake my bread!" or at least they feel psychologically better if the word "bleach" is used for the remains. i don't, i like whole grain multi-grain breads and if there's a rat dropping in it i probably won't notice because of the toasted sesame seeds anyways. :)
the stuff about too much sugar is probably true, yet the fault of cheap calories is not the companies producing but the consumers who are buying and feeding their kids this stuff repeatedly (not in moderation as a treat) and then letting them sit around all day and play video games.
songbird
Add pictures here
βœ–

"SAVE THE LEAF LITTER"
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/magazine/22wwlnlede.t.html?pagewanted1&eiP90&en θ328c69f0b3f4be&ex34894400&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss>
A few years ago, an obesity researcher at the University of Washington named Adam Drewnowski ventured into the supermarket to solve a mystery. He wanted to figure out why it is that the most reliable predictor of obesity in America today is a personΉs wealth. For most of history, after all, the poor have typically suffered from a shortage of calories, not a surfeit. So how is it that today the people with the least amount of money to spend on food are the ones most likely to be overweight? (cont.) ------
Seems like the problem is the distribution of wealth.
--
- Billy
βœ–
Billy wrote: ...

seems like the problem is people eating poorly.
songbird
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/43968/2/298.pdf
A taste
VI. CONCLUSIONS Based on a household health production framework, this paper exploits the combination of socio-economic, health and nutrition information from the UK National Diet and Nutrition Survey to analyze the endogenous relationship among wealth, nutrition, weight and the final health outcomes.
Using structural equation modelling, we reach three main conclusions:
(1) higher wealth is associated with lower weight and better health as expected, but because of a better diet rather than extra exercise or lower calorie consumption; (2) while reduced exercise and unhealthy diets have a direct negative effect on health, this does not rule out an additional adverse health outcome associated with larger weight; (3) the waist- hip ratio is a better predictor of health outcomes than body-mass index. The study has also limitations and model specification can be further improved by including prices and other behavioural determinants. However, there is a lack of such a comprehensive data-set.VI.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
βœ–

Songbird and Billy are correct. The poor do eat poorly.
However, Corn, Wheat, Soybeans and Rice are subsidized foods. These subsidized foods make processed foods very cheap. Fresh fruits and vegetables are not subsidized are cost much more per calorie than: Corn Chips, Sandwiches and Cereals. Also many poor communities do not have a super markets near them (I am talking poor in the United States). Super Markets want a nice profit margin when they build stores. Poor communities also do not have good public transportation to get to those nice markets. The poor communities tend to have small party stores which sells only canned or packaged goods which the poor can mostly afford.
Distribution of wealth can help the poor eat better.
Also over population of the planet also contributes to poverty and not as eating as well due to limited resources of the planet.
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
βœ–

³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.² -Archbishop Helder Camara
--
- Billy
βœ–

Another was to extend shelf life. Then wealthy style setters said it was cool and beside dental caries can be fixed. It truly is good to live below the salt. This when "a pox on thee" was a real curse
Gaudette 2:25 Steeleye Span Below The Salt Country MPEG audio file 2005 7/1/10 6:14 AM
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
βœ–
In article

"SAVE THE LEAF LITTER"
--
- Billy
βœ–

Note to self: read all of thread before responding - someone may have already made the point you're about to.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Interesting point, obviously the plants have no idea what chemicals they produce contributes to human wellness nor do they care
and one has to reconcile the fact that we are living longer then ever on mainly a corn syrup diet ____________________________________ "Living" longer might be worth examining more closely.
Add pictures here
βœ–