Replace soil below a growing plant

I have couple of Clematis plants. I planted them three years ago on a mound. I think the soil is very hard below and the mound is always dry. Can I dig below and remove the soil and drop the plant to ground level? Is there any other way to replace that soil below without yanking the plant?

Reply to
NoPatience

I think that you will damage the roots using the procedure that you describe, do a web search (google) for Clematis and you will probably find more information that you ever thought existed on that plant.

Mary

Reply to
Mary

If it was mine....i would have on hand >>

  1. compost of some type/ or manure 2. soil amendments & organic fertilizer 3. post hole digger & wheel barrow

I would simply start digging as many holes close to & around the area as you are willing to do. I'd go down 18 to 24 inches & fill- in with the Compost.

Add the admendments & fertilizer only in the top few inches. water in. Top off with 6 inches of mulch. ( carry off the soil from the holes to some other location)

see

& join Discussion Group ... others can offer their two cents.

take before & after pictures... hope it really gets growing for you! j.

Reply to
jfrost