mold on plant soil

They're probably trifids. There's no hope - move or you'll be doomed.

-- DrClean

The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web

Reply to
DrClean

I live in a damp place, and there seem to be lots of molds in the air. Lately I've noticed them growing on the soil in my plants. How can I kill them w/out harming the plants?

Thanks.

Reply to
Lance Delacroix

Mold growing in soil is a good sign that the soil is high in organic matter. Chemicals that kill fungus are not good for the soil. However, if the air circulation is improved you will see less mold. More light helps too.

Reply to
Phisherman

Physically remove the suspect mold. Just scrape it off with a plastic spoon and dump it. Replace with a lightweight potting mix or finely milled sphagnum moss.

Don't let your plants sit in water. Try watering less often, and when you do, take them to the sink and flush them out with lukewarm water (this will help prevent the buildup of salts and minerals). Let them drain before you put them back wherever.

And do what you can to get more light and air into your place.

Reply to
Tish Wolfe

When it happens to me, I dissolve some baking soda in water and spray the mold. I'm not claiming that this is better than other good methods. When it comes to alternative home cleaning, I've always been completely impartial. I'm sure FH also has some very good advice.

Reply to
Marcia Pease