Red currant wine...yum

The French seem to be able to take any fruit (even nuts) and make delicious wine and brandy from it. Check out this Frenchman's page where he explains his method for turning red currants into the one of tastiest wines your tongue will ever meet (I know...I've tried it). Enjoy: http://www.kitchengardeners.org/bernard.html
Interesting.....I used to make a lot of fruit wines. Red currant was good, as was gooseberry, cherry was excellent, but *black* currant was absolutely superb. I used a mix of Crandall and Consort berries, and the balance of sugars and tannins, the color, the aroma, the aftertaste, all were wonderful. Plus, from a gardening standpoint, the black currants, in my experience, are pest and trouble free, whereas the reds and the gooseberries were prone to insect problems.
I haven't made wine for some time, but I think I still have a few bottles of black currant wine tucked away somewhere, waiting for a special occasion.
Cheers, Sue
--
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMearthlik.net
Zone 6, South-central PA