REQ: Chile pepper planting advice...

I live in Southern California and recently purchased some Chiltepin seeds from Burpee. Is there is a preferred way to germinate or ideal potting soil mixture? I was thinking that since they only require partial sun, I could leave them indoors for a few months in front of a large window where they would get about 3.5 hours of sun a day. The temperature range could vary from 68 to 85 degrees indoors. I have no skills or knowledge of growing so please explain in detail here or via e-mail. Thanks... BillyKendig"at"bigfoot.com

Reply to
Shot Caller

We use a soiless mix to germinate our seeds and then pot them up in a light commercial soil mix once they have a few pairs of leaves. I had

70+ pepper plants this year and they all did so well that I will be cutting back next year. I have not grown peppers indoors, except as seedlines, so I cannot advise you on that.
Reply to
Phaedrine Stonebridge

If you live in SoCal, you could put the peppers outside, no? I don't think that peppers will fruit on only 3.5 hours of sun/day.

OTOH, I don't live in SoCal and maybe the sunlight is much stronger there than in the Northeastern USA. It would have to be for peppers to fruit on 3.5 hours of sun/day, AFAIK.

The 65-85 temperature degree range should be fine.

Pat

Reply to
spamtrap