Re: Green Tomatoes????

Page 2 of 2
Don't know where you are, but here in Southern California, with the "June Gloom" we had this year, is my tomato scorecard:
Three Early Girls plants, which normally have many ripe fruits by June: Two (small) ripe tomatoes by last week (Aug 4), plus maybe three more small in a couple of weeks.
Lots of Romas (normal crop).
Three yellow tomato plants (don't have the name): maybe 10 ripe tomatoes so far, maybe 10 more before the end of the season. (Delicious, by the way)
Maybe two dozen cherry tomatoes from 6 plants (a few more to come).
It's a meager year.
But I thank God for whatever harvest we got. After all, I couldn't have done it myself...
Jim Thomas
DigitalVinyl wrote:

Don't know where you are, but here in Southern California, with the "June Gloom" we had this year, is my tomato scorecard:
Three Early Girls plants, which normally have many ripe fruits by June: Two (small) ripe tomatoes by last week (Aug 4), plus maybe three more small in a couple of weeks.
Lots of Romas (normal crop).
Three yellow tomato plants (don't have the name): maybe 10 ripe tomatoes so far, maybe 10 more before the end of the season. (Delicious, by the way)
Maybe two dozen cherry tomatoes from 6 plants (a few more to come).
It's a meager year.
But I thank God for whatever harvest we got. After all, I couldn't have done it myself...
Jim Thomas
DigitalVinyl wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:39:42 -0400, Steve Calvin

PS (see earlier answer) - I think the fact that the Brits normally grow tomatoes under glass (in greenhouses) gives at least some credence to this. Their summers are fairly cool (by our standards).
We have a friend who lives around the corner from us - he's English. They moved to the USA three years ago: this is their fourth summer here.
He just routinely continued to grow his tomatoes in an unheated (plastic) greenhouse - I don't think he was even aware that most Americans don't grow them under glass, at first.
He's had many more ripe tomatoes than I have for the last two years (we only moved here two years ago).
Pat
I grew a variety of tomato called 4th of July that is sopposed to have one of the earliest ripening dates of any tomato. As the name implies if you get them in the ground soon enough, and the weather cooperates you'll have ripe tomatoes by 7/4. I got mine in the ground on May 8th. My first ripe tomato actually came off my Sweet Treat cherry tomatoes lol! That was about 2 weeks ago. The first 4th of July came about a week ago. I just pulled 5 ripe tomatoes off the 4th of July tomato, and many more are beginning to ripen. Many Sweet Treats are also ripening, and 1 of my Big Mama tomatoes has started turning yellow. None of the Burpee's Burgers and Brandy Boys are even close to ripening, they just keep getting bigger and bigger.
My weather has been almost exactly like yours (Pat) this year, aside from the fact we've had far warmer days (and nights) during this month.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:42:12 GMT, "Mike Stevenson"

The first week in July was hot here - temps in the high 80s.
I don't think we've had any temperature over 80 since then - pretty cool. I know we've not turned the air conditioners on since that first week in July - haven't felt the need for air conditioning. It's nice for people, although not for tomatoes!
It's not unusual for it to get down into the 40s here at night in summer, and very occasionally, summer nights have temperatures in the 30s.
Pat
<<<Do you know what variety they are?>>>
I wouldn't swear to it, but I am pretty sure they are Big Boy or something like that. I bought them as plants from Wal-Mart.
<<<Also, since you don't say where you're located, it may be too early in the season for ripening tomatoes. >>>
I live just south of Omaha, NE.
As for the temperature, we have had it over 100 several days and the evenings haven't been much relief (sometimes the low is not even down to 70).
The only other thing I can think of is to not watch as the first reply suggested. LOL
Cecelia