Re: basil and cilantro

We once had a neighbor that applied a herbicide on a windy day and we had extensive damage near the property line. Fortunately a small hill protected our koi pond but we lost around 20 plantings due to his carelessness. My beautiful euphorbias croaked first within an hour! Anything with lush green foliage (like peas) got hit the worst. A few things managed to come back like my climbing hydrangea but the damage was both expensive and heartbreaking. A few of my heritage roses never came back and all he could say was that he thought it was not windy and that was why he did not spend a lot of money on plantings.
Roundup is also toxic for some of us people.
Your neighbor should reimburse you to replace what he killed (and the cost of having it planted), I know that won't make it OK - but maybe he'll think before he sprays again. What he did was just criminal in my book - for plants to croak within an hour he must have gone through gallons. My sympathies!
We have a neighbor that pulled all the honeysuckle off of our fence when he moved in (I know it's a weed, but I liked it and it had grown there for years while their lot was empty.) and killed what he could on both sides... I walked outside one day to hear the fence pickets breaking as he pulled.... then had the gall to tell me the fence needed to be replaced. [I just thought, too bad...not going to happen... ]
Sara
in message : We once had a neighbor that applied a herbicide on a windy day and we : had extensive damage near the property line. Fortunately a small hill : protected our koi pond but we lost around 20 plantings due to his : carelessness. My beautiful euphorbias croaked first within an hour! : Anything with lush green foliage (like peas) got hit the worst. A few : things managed to come back like my climbing hydrangea but the damage : was both expensive and heartbreaking. A few of my heritage roses never : came back and all he could say was that he thought it was not windy and : that was why he did not spend a lot of money on plantings.

Your state EPA might have been of assistance. Your neighbor is responsible for the results of his spraying, as I'm sure the EPA would be happy to tell him.
A neighbor of mine sprayed his neighbor's hedge because he didn't like it. When the WA state EPA found out, they sent someone out who took samples of the damage for testing, then had a serious talk to the then 84 year old vandal.
Bob
Bob