Pumpkins

Hi,
Can anyone help me? I've grown a pumpkin, by mistake really, but hav watched it grow through the summer. I don't know when to harvest i though! The plant now looks quite dead and withered, but the pumpki hasn't changed colour from green. What do I do?
Thanks
-- Shell
Shell wrote:

If the vine is really dead, there's not much reason to leave it out there. Go ahead an cut it from the vine. If the pumpkin is mature enough to be good and solid, it should color up pretty soon.
Steve
Steve Wrote:

Thanks for that Steve, the pumpkin is solid, so I'll cut it off now and see what happens
-- Shell
Hi All, some pumpkins do not change colour even when fully ripe. Crown Prince is one such pumpkin.
Richard M. Watkin.

This is an edible pumpkin is it?
Almost all pumpkins grown in Australia have green skins. Provided the plant looks dead, harvest it. If you want to keep it for a time, make sure you cut or break the little stalk at least 5 or 6 inches away from the pumpkin so that a good length remains attached to the pumpkin. Most likely you will be able to slice and cook it skin and all, it is usually quite tender on homegrown ones.
I think those in the USA know edible pumpkins as "winter squash".