potting soil question

Hi All,
Not to ask too stupid a question, but when you put potting soil in a pot, do you put it in loose or do you pack it down?
Many thanks, -T
T wrote: ...

for seeds or plants? there is some difference in how i do things for each.
assuming from your other questions it is seeds:
the issue is seed/soil moisture transfer. if you have it too loose then the seeds may not get enough even moisture to germinate well.
i'm assuming you mean seed starting soil and not potting soil as they can be quite different...
seed starting soil tends to be more sterile and nutrient limited (to avoid early diseases).
songbird
On 05/14/2015 02:49 PM, songbird wrote:

Hi Songbird,
It is potting soil meant for starting seeds. The lady at the local nursery looked it up for me for my Pondorosa pine tree seeds. Said it would also be great for seeds.
And, since a few of the seeds floated up when I watered then, I will pack them down a bit more!
Thank you for helping me with this!
-T
T wrote: ...

ah, ok, it's not tomatillos...
i hope the pine trees will start up for you.
songbird
On 05/15/2015 06:00 PM, songbird wrote:

Hi Songbird,
She said I could use it on any acid loving plant. Originally, it was for Pine seeds, but then I used it for zucchini, and when I get my tomatillo seeds, I already have the pots ready. It is a pretty big bag. The remainder I was going to spread under my compost.
Question: the pots are made out of peat. The wrapper said to plant the pot and all when it came time to transfer. I have experience with cow manure pots that were also suppose to break down, but did not. Any words of wisdom?
-T
T wrote: ...

i generally like to see the root structure of the plants i put in. if you don't see the roots coming through the peat pots when you plant i'd slice them shallowly down the sides to give the root structure a quick inspection and then that will also give the roots an easier path out to the surrounding soil.
in an arid/hot climate such pots may not break down very easily as you may not have the soil community of critters and the supporting moisture needed to break such things up quickly.
songbird
On 05/16/2015 06:35 AM, songbird wrote:

Hi Songbird,
Sounds like my soil. I will just extract from the pots.
Maybe I will bury some of the leftover pots and see what happens. I guess is that they will stay in tact.
Thank you for helping me with this.
-T

T wrote: ...

may not be easy if roots are into the peat. if a gentle tug doesn't do it and you don't want to slice them then you can poke 'em or drill a few holes in them.

around here besides the worms we have pill bugs that like to break down organic material but i'm not sure what their limits are on aridity and temperature.
songbird