Plant 'fruit' tree wife's birthday (where to get Strawberry Tree?)

My wife's birthday is coming up and I want to try something that lasts longer than, say, flowers. I'm wondering if I can find and plant a tree in northern california that she saw on our honeymoon in panarea (italy).
The tree she seems to like is "strawberry tree". Looking it up, it's an "arbutus unedo", also knowns as a Ericacaea.
My problem is that I don't know if it will grow in northern california (San Francisco area) and more importantly HOW to mail order a shrub. Can mail order of shrubs be done?
Do you do that or know what a good nursery is for this type of edible bush?

A simple google search says that they can be ordered online and are suitable for your zone.
In article

Too much trouble to cut and paste your search URL?
Try, <http://www.cnplx.info/nplx/species?taxon=Arbutus+unedo
or
Search for "arbutus unedo, purchase, nursery, N. California".
Wrap up those dimes ;O)
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?

Wikipedia describes it as a Mediterranean native, so I would think most of the San Francisco area would be fine. But I have no experience growing it.
Looking online, I see several places selling seeds. Someone should sell plants. A nursery/garden center might be able to order one for you. They will have access to sellers that don't do retail.
--
Drew Lawson | Savage bed foot-warmer
| of purest feline ancestry
writes:

Northern California is great for growing cannabis, order your seeds online.
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 07:26:53 -0700, Jim Daschowsky

To my knowledge strawberries grow as a bush not a tree. I don't know about SF but I know they like somewhat cool weather like in Long Island. My "guess" is okay in SF with climate but I'm not sure about soil conditions. I think strawberries like sandy soil but google to confirm this.

I guess you weren't capable of googling "strawberry tree" either.
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 11:35:25 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

That's right because I'm not asking the question !!
On 4/21/2012 1:07 AM, Doug wrote: ...

But what's the point of an answer when you don't even know what the plant under discussion was/is....

Ok but if I said "to my knowledge" does that mean I have to confirm it each time myself? Can't the OP make that assessment by my words???

Just to add to my post, I know this is usenet but frankly I get tired of people who have nothing better to do than criticize others who try to help whether they're right or wrong in their help.

Usually, first thing each spring, we gardeners here at wrecked gardens, wrap up a roll of dimes in tape, because "All gardeners know better than other gardeners." - Chinese
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?
On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 11:12:14 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Yeah right....

It looks like the strawberry tree is native to the Mediterranean which would make it a good match for the SF area climate.
An article in SF Gate says that it grows well in Sunset climate zones 8,9 and 14 - 24.
Seems like it would be worth calling a few local nurseries and seeing if they have them in stock. Might be easier than mail order.
marcella