peach problem

2 problems actualy, but one is that there are so many the tree is about to break - I know what to do about that one:)
The other problem is the the skin of the peaches is turning black. It starts as a few spots, but spreads until most of the skin is black. If it hits when the peaches are very small, they simply stop growing and dry up.
If it hits when they are larger and starting to get color (like now), the skin stops growing and acts kind of like a crust - the inside keeps growing - expanding - and cracks the skin.
It may be too late to do anything this year, but does anyone have aideas about what it is and what to do to prevent it next year?
Thanks!
- Mark
"Mark A.Meggs" wrote:

Mark,
Sounds like black rot to me. It is a fungal disease that can be treated with fungicides. It may be too late to treat the problem this season, but next spring start treating for it. Keeping the area around the peach trees clean
will also improve conditions. Throw away any 'mummies' and other debris.
Sherwin