watermelon, pepper and tomato questions.

Hi,

New here hope this forum is friendly and not too much spammers and in- fighting.

My watermelons aren't growing. While my cucumbers have grown four or five feets and are starting to produce a few cukes, my watemelon plants have only grown to about 5 inches high. They were about the same size when I bought them about a month ago. Is this normal?

One of my tomatoe plants has produced six toamtoes and no more flowers in sight, while the rest (about 6 more plants of meaty and cherry tomatoes) are even flowering. They are all about 1-1/2 foot to 3-1/2 feet high.

One of my pepper plants (red bell) have started to flower and produced two peppers then stopped flowering. The other peppers, Thai chili and green bell peppers aren't flowering at all. All are about 1-2 feet high. Looks healthy enough, just noty flowering. All bought together from Lowe's about a month ago.

All of my plants started out from Lowe's about 4-5 inches high. Any ideas?

Thanks, Wil

Reply to
hueydriver

Where are you? What kind of soil do you have (age of garden, etc. etc.)? Just off the top of my head, it sounds like you don't have enough heat but your answers should resolve that hypothesis.

Reply to
Billy

Thank you for your reply Billy. I'm in DC. My plants are in 5 gallon buckets with combo top soil and dirt from the ground.

Thanks, Wil

Reply to
Wil

Maybe some of the other posters here know but has this been a cool, average, or warm summer in D.C.? I'm guessing it is cool or you are neat the Atlantic.

The watermelon, peppers, and, to a certain extent, tomatoes are warm weather plants. Unfortunately, the cucumber doesn't fall into that catagory which leaves the whole thing an enigma . . . hmmm. We already have an enigma here who posts regularly, so, to avoid confusion, let's call it a conundrum;-) Any who, barring that you have some exotic cucumbers, I'd paint the pots black, if they aren't already, wrap a clear plastic skirt around the pots (let it flair and reach the floor). Cut a circular piece, the same diameter as the surface of the soil in the pots that your plants are growing out of and make a cut in it which will allow you to place it flat in the pot, straddling the plant. If possible, place the pots in front of a light colored wall or some other light back ground. Give the plants a 1/2 strength dose fish emulsion and then water every other day or as needed to keep the soil moist.

Most importantly, keep your fingers crossed.

Reply to
Billy

Hi again Billy. Thanks for your answers. So I think I have been watering them too much because I water them every day, sometimes twice a day. I water everything. I'll try cutting back on the watering, except for the cucumbers. I'll also wrap up the buckets like you've said.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again, Wil

Reply to
Wil

Watering and over fertilizing them will keep them vegetating instead of setting fruit.

Reply to
Billy

Thanks Billy. I did over fertilize in the beginning and I did killed a couple of the watermelon plants that way.

Wil

Reply to
Wil