Onion Cluster Weirdness

I have some onions that were planted from generic seedlings labeled "California Red."
They have had enough time to mature, although in a shaded area, with a bit too much moisture. Which seems to have resulted in some rot.
Anyway, the last two I pulled, didn't have a regular onion bulb shape.
Instead, there is a cluster of stems, each about the size of a mature green onion, but a few/several together. It is one plant, *not* just tangled roots. The stem above the ground has a red wrapping (kind of soggy, due to the moisture), and separate green stems going up. The separation of the thingys goes all the way down to the bottom, with that sort of rough ring facing out, with the roots all pointing down from that.
Does anybody know what is up with that?
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /