New to this gardening business

Hello everyone, I'm new to gardening and need loads of guidance.

So, I wheedled a bit of dads garden for myself to grow veg, at the moment it's 10'x10' doesn't get maximum sun all day (loses the sun late afternoons about 4-5) with a tree stump in the middle (apple I think)

The first job is to get rid of the stump.

What should my second job be?

Reply to
NewShmoo

Decide what you want to grow.

The species that will grow well will depend on the climate, soil and aspect of your plot. Then select from those the kind of veges you want. Then prepare the ground to plant your selection at its appropriate season. You appear to be in the UK so your choice for immediate planting will be limited by the cooler weather approaching, that is some things should wait until spring. Depending on the severity of your winter; brassicas (the cabbage family), peas, broad beans, the onion family and some salad greens might be good for planting now.

Perhaps some books from the local library will help answer some of these questions or talking to local experienced gardeners such as at a garden club. Such a club will be full of the dreaded old fogies but they may actually be very helpful if you approach them correctly.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Yes, don't sneak up on them...if you startle them they might have a heart attack and croak. Ahahahahahahahahahaaahhahaha

Reply to
Roy

Preparing your garden soil for spring. 25/1, mulch/manure. Dig it in, or not. Digging it in will speed up the development of the soil. Keep gardening beds covered in mulch. Maybe read about cold frames, and hoop houses.

Reply to
Billy