multi-colored beets

Here in SoCal we can grow beets pretty much year round. The last time we got seeds we ran across Renee's Garden "Jewel-Toned Beets," which are a mixture of red, gold and candystripe. Renee, I believe, is the founder of Shepherd's nursery and seeds, who has now come back in a limited way after having sold that business. At any rate, having just eaten some more of them, I just want to mention that both the beetroots and the greens of these "jewel-toned" are really good. The gold and the candystripe are a little bit mellower than the red. Plants are very vigorous. And it's kind of fun not knowing exactly what you're going to get when you sow them. -aem
Here in SoCal we can grow beets pretty much year round. The last time we got seeds we ran across Renee's Garden "Jewel-Toned Beets," which are a mixture of red, gold and candystripe. Renee Shepherd, I believe, is the founder of Shepherd's nursery and seeds, who has now come back in a limited way after having sold that business. At any rate, having just eaten some more of them, I just want to mention that both the beetroots and the greens of these "jewel-toned" varieties are really good. The gold and the candystripe are a little bit mellower than the red. Plants are very vigorous. And it's kind of fun not knowing exactly what you're going to get when you sow them. -aem