Mortgage Lifter

Page 1 of 3
So I planted some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes this year. The plants grew very well, were most prolific in flowering, setting and ripening of fruit.
The only problem is that the tomatoes are not wonderful. They look fabulous. They would make ideal magazine shots or state fair entries, but they are, at least to me, underweight for their size and have no depth of flavor whatsoever.
I have only two full size varieties growing this year (many cherry, pear, patios, etc, as they bear and ripen earlier here), the MLs and some identified only as "heirloom tomato" on the labeling, that latter having been bought as a lark from a reduced rack at the local grocery store.
I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with indescribably delicious complexity of taste.
It's fun gardening.
Boron

Northern NJ.
Boron Elgar wrote:

aw!
thanks for saying. we've always been happy with the beefsteaks. the past few years we added the sweet 100s cherry tomatoes and they are very good. two plants take up about 60sq ft and keep producing so many we have plenty to give away. i'd rather give away a half a pint of cherry tomatoes instead of a three pound beefsteak.

the seeds should be reusable.

:) sure is, i have been working on thinning out the strawberries and planting the runners in a spare spot. five gallon bucket packed full. i have another two sides to finish yet. they will go in another place to fill in that garden. :)
songbird
songbird wrote:

Really? You must have that Harry Potter wand and magic word that turns plants back into seeds .... "Reverso tomaticus!"

I think maybe "resuable" wasn't quite the word. But if the plant really is an heirloom tomato then the seeds can be planted and the fruit should be true to the parent plant.
That's the beauty of heirloom produce, you can save the seeds and plant them instead of buying seeds.
marcella

We plant Romas and a variety called Scotia, allegedly one especially suited to Nova Scotia's climate. Every year numerous Scotia plants come up in the compost heap from the discarded rotters and (possibly) from the pomace left from making last year's tomato sauce.
I really should try saving some of the seeds and starting them in the micro-greenhouse [1] in March as the volunteers in the compost heap are too late to bear heavily.
[1] Bigger than a phone booth but not by much.
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:47:46 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

I like that. There is money to be made with that wand.
Boron
David Hare-Scott wrote: ...

very funny, but you know what i mean jellybean.
songbird
songbird wrote:

I do

Couse we know, but it still didn't stop me thinking of the stories from my youth of teens who reused condoms after carefully washing them out......
FarmI wrote:

Nah gladwrap, you can get a big roll for a few dollars .....

LOL. I was thinking simialr thoughts at the use of 'reusable'.
Have you planted any toms yet or do you need to wait a while longer?
FarmI wrote:

My summer stuff is still in trays. The volunteers are coming up already but there is still time for a frost before summer despite having budburst on the stone fruits. So I will wait another 3 weeks to be safe.

How we differ, you are thinking of planting and I am thinking of harvest :) I have been canning and freezing my summer bounty planning for the winter while on the other side of the planet the summer is upon them.
In a way it does seem like, I am in the Muggle's world and the other side is just past the 9 and 3/4 magical world.
--
Nad

Well, reading all those posts of fecundity from you notthern hemisphereans has been rather hard on poor David and I for the past 3 months............... Now it's our turn :-))

You are organised. I havent' done a thing except for garlic and spuds in situ.
The volunteers are coming up already but

I have some volunteer lettuce aroudn my rhubarb, and going gangbusters, but that's it. Must get orf me date and do something.......

I like the sweet 100s. Their only flaw is a tendancy to split after a heavy rain...much more so than any of the other cherries or small tomatoes I have going this year.
Yes...the cherries get given away, but those perfect full size tomatoes are guarded like treasure.

And some have been saved. They are drying on paper towel.

I grow strawberries for show, I swear...with what the critters leave me, it is an exercise in futility.
Boron
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:07:10 -0400, Boron Elgar

I just made 3.5 pints of sauce from my grape tomatoes. Couldn't think of anything else to do with them. About tomorrow I guess I will be canning another7 quarts of tomatoes. I'm thinking about gazpacho, hummus and tzatziki today. Bought some pita since I doubt I will feel like making them today. Maybe I will search the freezer and see if I still have some there.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

The NY Times has a great way of using cherries in a caramelized tarte. ...and 25 other ways to use tomatoes, too.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/17/dining/171arex.html
Last week we had gazpacho and I take a little salad of the cherries, cukes and cottage cheese every day for lunch now. If I want to fancy that up, I add a dollop of sour cream and a bit of onion. By the time I get tired of it, the season is over.
Boron

Did the same thing with an abundance of yellow pear tomatoes a couple of years back. Was VERY good.
I used to grow several different varieties each year and still try a couple of new ones each year, but seem to have settled on Cosmonaut Volkov and Super Marzano as my main crop varieties.
Cheers! -Paul