Mayhaw trees

In the spring I planted a couple of bare root Mayhaws, it took them weeks to sprout out and their growth hasn't been spectacular, the shoots are only about 5 inches long.
The question is, should I try to protect these over winter? I'm slightly north of the natural range of Mayhaws but still in the same zone (7).
First frost is likely still a month away.
If it is good idea to protect them what is the best method to protect them.